Charging the TOUCH while MacBook sleeps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OldManJimbo, Jun 26, 2008.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

New TOUCH owner, thanks to the Back to School offer -

Is the TOUCH supposed to charge up when plugged into the USB port while the MacBook sleeps overnight?

Mine doesn't - so perhaps I'm doing something incorrectly. When the MacBook is open and awake, power flows into the TOUCH, but as soon as the lid is closed, the charge quits.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the mac is doing everything right, its in sleep mode but still powered so anything in the usb does not get recognised as being plugged in so no the ipod wont get charged as theres no power being sent to the usb port

3. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Hmm - I have also a Treo phone and it actually does trickle charge while the MacBook sleeps overnight. Takes all night to gain a full charge, but at least power is flowing.

Doesn't work if the Mac is OFF, only when it sleeps.

4. brandon.vong macrumors regular

I agree. Is there a work around to this? It would be cool if I could charge it while my MBP is sleeping.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I don't believe so, if your MB is off,and your i-Touch is on , It'll be dead come morning, HOWEVER, power it down when you shut off the MB- no more problemo:rolleyes:

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Apple explains it all here: Charging your iPod battery

In short, the touch won't charge on with the notebook in sleep mode, however Apple does (or did) make a USB Power Adapter that pulls into 120 AC power which would solve the problem, but unfortunately the Apple store doesn't seem to have it online currently(?)

At any rate, virtually any USB charger should work -- there seem to be a good variety available from many different sources that run on a wide range of voltage sources (battery, AC, etc.).

7. brandon.vong macrumors regular

Thanks for the resource. Too bad though regarding the USB charger. Maybe I can find another alternative.

8. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

jimjiminyjim

virtually any charger will NOT work

Just in case someone stumbles on this thread, many usb chargers that worked for other iPods and devices will likely not work with newer versions of the iPhone/iPod Touch. You'll need Apple's own charger, or one that specifically names compatibility with your iPod Touch/iPhone.

9. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

I use a firewire wall adapter plug that I got from my first iPod mini to charge my iPod touch, works great!

Of course firewire no longer can transfer information on the iPods, but it still can charge the batteries.

10. devburke Guest

Not for 2G Touches

11. Empgamer macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem trying to find USB chargers. Following advised I picked up the Sony USB charger (for Walkmans) and can confirm that it works fine.

12. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

13. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

There's always something like Belkin's power charger I've seen it for even cheaper on amazon and the like. I agree though that it would be nice if the iPod touch would charge while connected to a plugged in sleeping laptop.

14. jlamb0 macrumors member

Charging iPod Touch on Sleeping Blackbook

I got the back to school deal as well, and I just tested plugging in my iPod Touch and closing the lid on my Macbook.

It continues to charge in sleep mode...

If this really shouldn't be happening, should I be worried that something is wrong?

update: Tested it again today. My Macbook will charge my iPod Touch 1st gen when in sleep mode as long as it is plugged into the AC adapter. When the Macbook is unplugged, the iPod will not charge.

15. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

You know, I read that a sleeping computer wouldn't charge an attached iPod Touch, but then I found that my MBP will actually charge my iPT through the USB port. And, yes, I did verify that. It is definitely more than just a trickle charge. I did have iTunes open and had just synched the iPT, and it was still attached/connected, so maybe that had something to do with it? No idea. But, in any case, I bought the USB wall charger/adaptor for it--the Apple one. It's annoying to have to always charge the thing through a computer! In my opinion, you really need to add $30 to the price of any iPod now to get the real price. For most people, anyway.

16. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

I can confirm that 'official' AC -> USB charger that Apple sold (or maybe still sells) in the iPod nano 2G era still works and it works with iPod touch 1G, too.

17. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

my ipod will charge while my macbook pro is sleeping. idk if its cuz i have the pro or what but even on battery it charges it.