Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I am considering buying a second Watch. For those who already own two, do you leave the Watch you are not wearing on the charger all the time? If so, are you concerned about overcharging?

If not, how do you rotate them between charging and not charging? I.e. Every other day, etc.?

Thanks,

TxWatch

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I am considering buying a second Watch. For those who already own two, do you leave the Watch you are not wearing on the charger all the time? If so, are you concerned about overcharging?

If not, how do you rotate them between charging and not charging? I.e. Every other day, etc.?

Thanks,

TxWatch
It can't overcharge and yes it's fine

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
But as far as I know you shouldn't leave the watch battery full if you don't intend to use it daily though. For the watch that you only use once in a while isn't the best recommendation is half-charging it?

LatestOne

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2016
India
All are stopped charging after getting full charge, But It suggested to remove charging after it charged.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
All are stopped charging after getting full charge, But It suggested to remove charging after it charged.

Apple has no such suggestion, but they do suggest that the device is half charged when storing it long term. http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/
[doublepost=1467643151][/doublepost]
What's the value of having two watches?

Some here like to wear it 24/7 so they swap out at bedtime (for sleep tracking, etc.). Or a different model for different use/occasion.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
Some here like to wear it 24/7 so they swap out at bedtime (for sleep tracking, etc.). Or a different model for different use/occasion.

Oh yes.

I've repurposed my older iPhones for security and video recording.

It's possible in the future that wearing an AW on each wrist is plausible when riding my bike.

Having access to information is much more critical in a high stressed setting.

Even as a runner, potentially I may require immediate quick glances of conditions. One AW could monitor internal conditions while another AW monitors external conditions.

Already, we have the ability to attach two AW to one iPhone.

Wondering if anyone is doing this now?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Oh yes.

I've repurposed my older iPhones for security and video recording.

It's possible in the future that wearing an AW on each wrist is plausible when riding my bike.

Having access to information is much more critical in a high stressed setting.

Even as a runner, potentially I may require immediate quick glances of conditions. One AW could monitor internal conditions while another AW monitors external conditions.

Already, we have the ability to attach two AW to one iPhone.

Wondering if anyone is doing this now?

You can only pair to one AW at a time. Nobody wants to double wrist it lest they look like a tool.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
But as far as I know you shouldn't leave the watch battery full if you don't intend to use it daily though. For the watch that you only use once in a while isn't the best recommendation is half-charging it?

That was my original point about overcharging. I realize the iDevices will not overcharge themselves, but I know I have pulled mine off the charger in the morning and it feels warm. This tells me it is charging on and off to keep itself at 100% for when I need it. If this goes on for a couple of days because I am wearing my other Watch, what is the long term effect on the battery from constantly topping itself off?

I do not leave any of my other iDevices charging for days at a time because I use them on a regular basis or, like my iPad, it can sit idle for days and still have a charge when I pick it up. Since my Watch barely lasts two full days, it will have to stay on a charger every night to make it useful for the next full day.

TxWatch

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Maybe turn it off when you're not going to use it for a while. I've done it with mine on days when I wear my other watches.

(it's not often, but I still like to switch it up, and it feels a little wasteful to have some nice watches go unused... but I always find myself missing my Watch, too!)

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Maybe turn it off when you're not going to use it for a while. I've done it with mine on days when I wear my other watches.

This is the easiest solution I have heard so far. ;)

1. Charge the Watch you are wearing each night.
2. If you plan to wear it for the next day, take it off the charger and put it on.
3. If you do not plan to wear it again, take it off the charger and turn it off.
3b. Turn on the Watch you want to wear and put it on.

NOTE: This method can be used for any number of Watch's.

I am not used to turning off my iDevices, but I can make an exception for a second Watch. :cool:

Thanks for the simple and easy idea!

TxWatch

Reactions: BarracksSi

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
What's the value of having two watches?

I have a SS Apple Watch with link bracelet that I wear to work and more formal social. I have the space grey Apple Watch Sport for gym and weekends. The phone easily pairs to both, automatically switches to the one I'm wearing, and maintains health data when swapping.

Each watch came with a charger, so that shouldn't be an issue. I get by only using one.

Reactions: ladytonya

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I use one charger and pull them off when they're fully charged because sometimes the SS in particular gets hot. I pass by during the day and put the one I'm not wearing back on he harder to top it off. I often wear the stainless at home when I'm working and the gold sport when I go out. They both get worn regularly.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I have a SS Apple Watch with link bracelet that I wear to work and more formal social. I have the space grey Apple Watch Sport for gym and weekends. The phone easily pairs to both, automatically switches to the one I'm wearing, and maintains health data when swapping.

Each watch came with a charger, so that shouldn't be an issue. I get by only using one.

I bought the Sport to try the Apple Watch, but now I want to buy a black SS for work and more formal occasions. I will use the Sport for running, working out and on casual weekends. Like others on this forum, I own several non-Apple watches for formal and casual activities already, so this is no different.

I may wait for AW2, but I have been thinking about a second Apple Watch for a couple of months.

TxWatch

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I have 2 watches. One is on the charger while I wear the other one. I wear an AW pretty much 24/7 except when I'm in the shower. (I decided to wear it one time in the show since Tim does... but then the speaker wouldn't work... so now I'm back to taking it off when in the shower.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.