Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Hey Guys -

So I'm currently on my honeymoon in Europe (France/Italy) and we're having a blast.

I have plug adapters so we can plug our devices in and I've noticed that a few devices my wife has (hair dryer/steamer) seem to be getting way too much electricity.

We stopped using them because I realized we need a 220V to 110V converter. That's where I started to wonder about our iPhone 6's.

I'm currently plugging the adapter into the wall, the white (Apple) wall charger that came with our iPhones into the adapter, and the Lightning cable into the white (Apple) wall charger.

To clarify - iPhone 6 > Lightning Cable > Apple Wall Charger > Adapter > Outlet

Am I missing anything or can I screw up our iPhones by doing this? Hopefully I'm doing everything correct, let me know if I need to purchase anything else haha.

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
You're fine. Your converter should be throttling the 240v output from the wall down to the 110v needed for your wall charger.

I'm more interested in how your wife (congrats, btw) managed to plug a 110v hair dryer into a 240v socket. The plugs are different shapes and by all rights it should've popped immediately after turning it on.

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
UK
Hey Guys -

So I'm currently on my honeymoon in Europe (France/Italy) and we're having a blast.

I have plug adapters so we can plug our devices in and I've noticed that a few devices my wife has (hair dryer/steamer) seem to be getting way too much electricity.

We stopped using them because I realized we need a 220V to 110V converter. That's where I started to wonder about our iPhone 6's.

I'm currently plugging the adapter into the wall, the white (Apple) wall charger that came with our iPhones into the adapter, and the Lightning cable into the white (Apple) wall charger.

To clarify - iPhone 6 > Lightning Cable > Apple Wall Charger > Adapter > Outlet

Am I missing anything or can I screw up our iPhones by doing this? Hopefully I'm doing everything correct, let me know if I need to purchase anything else haha.

As said you are fine, the Apple charger works with 110-240V without issue.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
You're fine. Your converter should be throttling the 240v output from the wall down to the 110v needed for your wall charger.

I'm more interested in how your wife (congrats, btw) managed to plug a 110v hair dryer into a 240v socket. The plugs are different shapes and by all rights it should've popped immediately after turning it on.
Thanks! We had an adapter that allowed us to plug them into the wall, but the moment they started it was VERY loud with the extra power. For example - our steamer was spitting water everywhere ha. I think we need a 220V - 110V converter - off to the store ;)

As said you are fine, the Apple charger works with 110-240V without issue.
Thanks for the feedback!

The charger should be able to handle 110-240 volts and 50/60 Hz.
Great - I saw it handled from 110-240V but I'm glad it converts 240V down into the 110V needed!

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
...as long as you purchased an original equipment charger from apple or authorized distributor, it needs to be said. there are a lot of cheap knockoffs of chargers and lightening cables.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
As others have said, no problem with the iPhone charger. Converting for the steamer/hair dryer is going to be a lot harder - you need a transformer, and those are heavy and generally somewhat expensive. Check your hotel's bathroom - many of them have a 110v outlet in there often labeled 'shavers'. You can also ask at the hotel to be sure, or they might even have a transformer you can borrow.

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
As others have said, no problem with the iPhone charger. Converting for the steamer/hair dryer is going to be a lot harder - you need a transformer, and those are heavy and generally somewhat expensive. Check your hotel's bathroom - many of them have a 110v outlet in there often labeled 'shavers'. You can also ask at the hotel to be sure, or they might even have a transformer you can borrow.
What he said. They're heavy and they're expensive. Might be worth just buying a hair dryer while you're away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.