Charging US iPhone in Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Hey Guys -

So I'm currently on my honeymoon in Europe (France/Italy) and we're having a blast.

I have plug adapters so we can plug our devices in and I've noticed that a few devices my wife has (hair dryer/steamer) seem to be getting way too much electricity.

We stopped using them because I realized we need a 220V to 110V converter. That's where I started to wonder about our iPhone 6's.

I'm currently plugging the adapter into the wall, the white (Apple) wall charger that came with our iPhones into the adapter, and the Lightning cable into the white (Apple) wall charger.

To clarify - iPhone 6 > Lightning Cable > Apple Wall Charger > Adapter > Outlet

Am I missing anything or can I screw up our iPhones by doing this? Hopefully I'm doing everything correct, let me know if I need to purchase anything else haha.

2. CasuallyDressed macrumors 6502

CasuallyDressed

You're fine. Your converter should be throttling the 240v output from the wall down to the 110v needed for your wall charger.

I'm more interested in how your wife (congrats, btw) managed to plug a 110v hair dryer into a 240v socket. The plugs are different shapes and by all rights it should've popped immediately after turning it on.

3. ACDeag macrumors regular

As said you are fine, the Apple charger works with 110-240V without issue.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The charger should be able to handle 110-240 volts and 50/60 Hz.

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Thanks! We had an adapter that allowed us to plug them into the wall, but the moment they started it was VERY loud with the extra power. For example - our steamer was spitting water everywhere ha. I think we need a 220V - 110V converter - off to the store ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

Great - I saw it handled from 110-240V but I'm glad it converts 240V down into the 110V needed!

6. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

...as long as you purchased an original equipment charger from apple or authorized distributor, it needs to be said. there are a lot of cheap knockoffs of chargers and lightening cables.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

As others have said, no problem with the iPhone charger. Converting for the steamer/hair dryer is going to be a lot harder - you need a transformer, and those are heavy and generally somewhat expensive. Check your hotel's bathroom - many of them have a 110v outlet in there often labeled 'shavers'. You can also ask at the hotel to be sure, or they might even have a transformer you can borrow.

8. CasuallyDressed macrumors 6502

CasuallyDressed

What he said. They're heavy and they're expensive. Might be worth just buying a hair dryer while you're away.

9. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

My EU iPhone charger charges the iPhone with 5V.