Charging/Watch OS Update Issue

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Sonofjorel76, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Sonofjorel76 macrumors newbie

I purchased a used watch from a private buyer. Serial number is clean and says that it's able to be paired with a new device. However, when I attempt to pair the watch, it instructs me that I must update to the latest watch OS. Here's the problem... I keep getting the "charging with this accessory not supported by apple watch" error. I've used multiple chargers, multiple wall outlets and usb ports. Since the watch wont charge, it wont allow an OS update, and thus will not pair. Wondering if this is a common issue

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

3. Sonofjorel76 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's definitely out of warranty, not sure if it's worth the price of repair

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It may not but it is worth to see if the charger is bad. The Apple store will take a look for free or maybe you have a friend with an Apple watch that would let you test for charging.

5. KrisLord macrumors 65816

The error about needing to upgrade OS is normal, iOS 10 and watchOS 3 go together, if either device is updated and the other isn't then you'll get an error.

As noted by others Apple will be able to help, even if it's as simple as letting you charge the Watch so it can be upgraded.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just a slight correction. You can use iOS10 with wOS2 but you can't use wOS3 and iOS9.

7. Sonofjorel76 thread starter macrumors newbie

It ended up being an issue with the charging disc. They had to try 3 different ones before it actually worked. Then they swapped it out for me free of charge

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Glad you did not give up. Enjoy your Apple Watch!