iPad Pro Charging while using

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nutmegz, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Nutmegz macrumors newbie

Anyone else have trouble charging the iPad pro while using the device? It won't charge at all while I'm using the device. Sometimes it even goes down in charge even tho it is plugged in. I can't believe Apple only went with a 12 watt charger for this thing.

2. loveandhavefun macrumors member

loveandhavefun

It charges properly when plugged into an outlet, at least here. Charging in a computer doesn't provide enough power though sadly. Are you using the included 6 foot cable and wall plug?

3. Nutmegz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. I'm using the supplied charger and wall adapter. The battery % hasn't budged in 20 minuets.

4. davideotape macrumors 6502

Yeah same here. Battery goes down even when plugged in.

5. ReturnOfTheHMAC macrumors newbie

My battery stays at 100% when in use and charging.

6. kingja3 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. Had the iPad pro die on me a couple of times while 'charging'. Only solution seems to bring down the brightness of the screen.

I made a video demoing this effect:

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Has anyone tried using another charger? Say the Macbook one and the USB-C to USB converter? Macbooks charge ridiculously quickly, but they are only 5Ah rather than 10.

8. Nutmegz thread starter macrumors newbie

This is just unacceptable especially for a $1000 device.

9. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

i havent tried the apple 12w charger yet, but am using those anker chargers. have 0 problem.
    i think based on the maximum normal usb chargers can provide 5v 2.4a ==> 12w is actually the max ipad can take without those fastcharge technology....

just try another charger, and see how it goes.
    depends on what you are doing on your ipad, the power draw *may* be larger than the power supply can provide, therefore the device will draw power from battery.
    this also happened to some macbooks as well, it's not unusual.

let your ipad finish initial setup/download/index/optimize, let it sit there for a while and close some app, then do some test.

10. Nutmegz thread starter macrumors newbie

It is unusual and very poor design choice. I have tried both the apple charger included and an anker charge and combination of supplied Apple cable and a Amazon cable. Just steaming Netflix and YouTube causes issues.

11. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

My original iPad Air will do the same thing while it is plugged in, and I'm using it. I was hoping that would be fixed by now.

12. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

13. Mystro, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Mine is charging while using it. I have my display set at 50% but it is charging up slowly while on the net typing this. I am pretty sure my Air 2 does the same thing. I am getting 12 hours of Netflix play on the Pro so I can't ever see this being a issue even with extreme use unless you don't fully charge you Pro each day.

14. Apple2007 macrumors member

Apple2007

I think you hit on something. Playing a video is the most taxing thing you can do on an iPad. So perhaps playing a video while charging is too much for it to handle and it can't keep up, especially on the Pro, being such a larger iPad.

15. drjsway macrumors 6502a

I noticed this in the Apple Store where all the demo units were at close to 0% despite being having the charger plugged in.

Doesn't bother me though. I never use an iPad while charging. Do any of you really do this? I rotate the screen every few minutes, depending on content being displayed and have found it incredibly annoying with the cable plugged in. That along with ten hour battery life and what's the point?

16. Nutmegz thread starter macrumors newbie

When its at 5% and I want to use it, yeah I want use it plugged in.

17. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

well, it really depends.

i've seen a 1-hour long video took 15% of battery life on mini4, and also some similiar length video only took 2-4%

18. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Out of interest, I just tried charging the pro with the MacBook charger (using a usb-c to use converter and the supplied cable). Doesn't seem any quicker, did 58% charge in 3 hours unused (from 38 to 96%)

19. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

Same thing happened on the unit I had! Here we go... Charge-Gate

20. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

My pro is charging right now while I am watching a Twitch stream. It's been charging while on all evening, and while it is quite slow in charging, the battery % is going up a percent every 5 mins or so.

21. big samm macrumors 65816

I don't own a ipp but like some others said try another charger, maybe the 12w charger will do the thing if the ipp came with a 10w charger... And just out of curiosity, how long to charge the ipp from 0 to 100%?

22. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

The Air 2, just plugged into my iMac, charges while constantly being used with games.

23. Serban Suspended

ipad air 2 does not have the same number of pixels..
    watching movies and with brightness over 50% it is something power hungry