Charging with ipad charger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Withavision, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Withavision macrumors member

approx how much faster does charging the iphone 7+ charge using an ipdad charger vs regular out of the box charger?

for those that have experience with both, is the speed comparable to samsung's "fast charging"?

Thanks

2. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I don't notice much difference among 5w, 10w, or 12w Apple branded chargers.

There were some threads that may have described the phone electronically limiting the charging regardless of the input wattage.

3. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The older phones (prior to iPhone 6/6 Plus) did have circuitry to limit the charge process. Since the 6/6 Plus, the phones do charge faster with a 10- or 12-watt iPad charger. And while Apple says that it's compatible and safe, the extra heat generated may not be in your phone's best interest, long term.

5. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

No, it's not really comparable. With an iPad charger it takes just over 2 hours to charge while it takes almost 3 with the iPhone charger. The Note takes about an hour and a half.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Gotcha.

I did use a 10 watt last night on the phone with a MacBook type wall connector.

The charger puck was under a pillow on my sofa and got blistering hot. It stopped charging the phone and I could not get it to work for about a half hour afterwards. Tested again and it was fine.

Not sure if the pillow was the cause or not.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Well, before the fun starts. Sorry - couldn't help myself. :)

8. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Charging a Li-ion battery under a pillow is probably not the smartest thing one could attempt... charging these devices always generates some ambient heat (a byproduct of the charging process)... and not allowing that heat to dissipate could be asking for trouble.

9. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I sleep on my sofa a lot and throw pillows around in my sleep. Just gotta move the puck.