Charging with this accessory is not supported by Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sixxmum, Jun 11, 2015.

1. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I just started getting this message today, one week into ownership. I'm using the same charger as yesterday, in the same location. So far, I've cleaned the charger and the watch and rebooted.

After half of an hour of trying to get it to charge, I've gone from 56% battery to 52%.
    Any thoughts?

2. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Are you using a genuine power adapter? (not the inductive charger part - the wall plug?).

3. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

4. mr.anthonyramos macrumors regular

mr.anthonyramos

Another thing to check is if you have damage to your cable? Twisted?

5. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

6. nasa25 macrumors 65816

7. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I was running the standard software (no beta), and using the OEM charging items. Apple support says it is probably the charger, though I can't see anything wrong with the cable. So, they are shipping another.

8. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I started off with a 'charger' problem. Used the watch out of the box first day since it was about 3/4 charged on delivery. Charged that night. Next day it seemed to go through the battery rather quickly when I hadn't thought I had done much to prompt that (had eliminated most notifications, 3rd party apps, etc to start off, with plans to add back as I got more acquainted). Put on charger that second night and checked the watch on the charger to see how fast it was charging (by tapping watch face while on charger). It was still charging based on the indicator but went from showing a charge of 80+% (can't remember exact number but on the upper end) to then dropping downwards to like 50-60% in less than 1/2 hour. Pulled it off the charger and did a hard reset of the watch and put back on the charger. Battery life continued to go up to 100% and was at 100% the next morning. I've been tracking usage by time of day, activities and % for the last week for a reference point and haven't had any abnormal drop since that second day. I'd say if you haven't already done so, do a hard reset and see if it helps. Clearly in my case it wasn't the charger but maybe something watch based that got corrupted.

9. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

new charger arrived today and solved the problem. Whew!

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I tried charging with a crappy 3rd party charger and the watch got really hot and didn't charge any. Freaked me out that I damaged my watch. I left it on there for at least an hour, maybe 2. It's been weeks since I did that though and the watch hasn't had any problems. Sticking to the official charger from now on though... or a USB hub I have on my desk.