Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Rchawks, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Rchawks macrumors member

Finally ready to charge my new air and I must admit I'm a bit confused as to why the charging system cords are set up this way. Do I use the entire cord assembly to charge. For me the instructions aren't exactly clear to me. Why the break down piece, it's not quite like the IPad. Sorry, I'm sure this is a stupid question for you veterans here, but a little advice please.

2. simsaladimbamba

The power adapter has the power brick with the MagSafe cable attached to it.
    You can either attach the small piece with the prongs on it if your power sockets are not that far away or you can attach the cable to it if your power sockets are further away. It is up to you.

I normally use the longer variant, but my brother never used the extra cable in more than five years and recently gave it to me with the clear plastic still around it.

Again, it is up to you and how far the power sockets are away from you on a daily basis.

As to your thread title: This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Apple Notebook Battery FAQ by GGJstudios

3. Newtons Apple, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not to hard to figure out. If the power outlet is close, you do not need the cord and can plug the brick directly into the outlet. If not the cord replaces the plug on the brick for those outlets that are too far away.

I can't believe that I am explaining this. If you just stare at the items they provided you, you should be able to figure this out. :apple:

4. abta1 macrumors 6502

So basically they do the same thing, just depends on how long you need the charger to be.

5. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

The only other advantage of the longer cord is that it is grounded which could save your computer from getting fried under certain circumstances. That said, I have never used mine. When I am in my office power comes from TB display, and I don't want the extra weight and bulk when traveling.

6. Rchawks, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

Rchawks thread starter macrumors member

No need, the other gentlemen answered very politely and to them a Thank you.