Charging

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Orangeman13, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Orangeman13 macrumors 6502

Orangeman13

is it possible to charge the Apple Watch while it’s powered down? I powered it down then when I put it on the charger it turned on. When it’s on the charger it will not turn off.

Is there any solution?

Thanks!

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Have you tried turning it off while connected to the charger?

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Just like your iPhone it only chargers while powered on. This is the design so not sure what you are wanting.

4. Orangeman13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Orangeman13

Yes but the power button won’t slide over so I just press cancel.

5. jakerichva Suspended

Charging is controlled by the software on the watch. So, no, you cannot turn off the watch and have it charge. It needs to be on.

6. Orangeman13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Orangeman13

Why does it need to be on? The iPhone and iPad can be turned off while charging.

I’m just curious.

7. jakerichva Suspended

Actually, the iPhone and iPad are running when charging, too. If you totally power them down, they don't charge. I just tested that with my iPhone and while powered off, when I plugged it into power, it booted up.

8. Orangeman13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Orangeman13

But if you put them on the charger you can then power them down.

The watch doesn’t power down while on the charger.

9. jakerichva Suspended

Can I ask why this is important to you? What is it you are trying to accomplish? I never power down the iPhone or iPad or  Watch, and frankly I can't think of a reason to do so. But if you have something you are trying to achieve, maybe there is another way to get it done to work around the way the device works.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

One reason I can see is if it’s charging on a night stand, when it hits full charge it lights up as well if the watch or night stand is bumped.

11. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

You Have to be awake to eat an apple. Apple made their devices such that they have to be on to recharge. If i am feeding you an apple while your are asleep i will wake you first and then feed you the apple.

12. jakerichva Suspended

Mine doesn't wake when fully charged. I have it on the Apple stand that holds it sideways and it stays dark all night. Only if I tap it, does the face show the time. The problem with powering it off is that the power on/boot time is so loooooooooooooong. I don't want to face that boot every day.

13. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

You have to keep looking at it. When the power meter his 100% the watch face shows time. And it will go black after few seconds. Keep staring at it.

14. jakerichva Suspended

Heh! Life is waaaay too short to obsess over it enough to stare at it all night. Not gonna happen.

15. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

Then stop accusing your watch of not waking up at 100%. That's unfair for your AW.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You just start a thread on the same topic less than a week ago? And it was clearly answered in there for you as well. Unsure of why you would start a thread on the same topic twice.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/charging.2075267/

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Hmmm... Interesting. For a year now I've charged my AW on my dresser near the bed.

I guess I've always been asleep when this happened. Never stayed up staring at it. :D

18. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Talk about making watching paint dry sound exciting.:D:eek: