Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b4u2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2020
Will the 12w USB power adapter MD836B/B Model number A1401 charge my ipod classic 160gb (late 2009) ?

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Hi, yes the 12 watt USB charger will work with your iPod Classic, as well as any iPad, iPhone, or iPod, with the correct cable of course. Higher wattage is ok to charge devices too if you were wondering, they will just accept the wattage they need and it won't cause any damage or anything like that.

b4u2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2020
@Slix
Thank you.
I keep getting different answers on this do not sure what to believe anymore.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Hi, it definitely is true that it is safe and efficient to use this charger with any iPod. I have one and have used it with numerous iPods for a decade including the exact one you own and it's been perfect.

Reactions: Slix

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
@retta283
Apple say otherwise or more like depends on who I speak to.
If you're talking to Apple Support reps via phone or chat I find that they usually aren't familiar with the hardware and just have access to a number of support documents with information on them that is not always true or complete so they probably are incorrect. Especially so whenever the hardware (iPod Classic) is over 10 years old at this point. I wouldn't worry about charging with it, a lot of older iPods came with similar bricks during the Firewire and early USB years.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
1609852257509.png

Here's a picture of a cable I found online, the farthest right is USB, then the one to the left of it is FireWire.

FireWire was similar to USB but had some advantages, there were two versions (FireWire 400 and FireWire 800, 400 is the one pictured and the one the iPods used) and they provided a more consistent data transfer rate than USB so were faster for external Hard drives and iPods back in the day. They also didn't use up any CPU power like a USB bus does. Only Apple computers really came with this size of FireWire by default configuration.

b4u2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2020
I was referring to the cables that attach to a wall plug for UK socket.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I was referring to the cables that attach to a wall plug for UK socket.
You can get a FireWire version of the Apple wall charger that has the same removable prong to switch to any regional plugs so that would be fine. Just note though that the 160GB classic cannot sync via FireWire, only charge. It may charge faster than USB though when using the wall adapter which is what you're after I assume.

b4u2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2020
Yes I am after the wall adapter that's correct.

b4u2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2020
Are you able to tell if an apple adapter and cable is genuine?
I've already seen the apple article on this.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Are you able to tell if an apple adapter and cable is genuine?
I've already seen the apple article on this.
If you are looking to get the items you need to charge an iPod Classic brand new, Apple still sells the 30-pin to USB cable on their online store: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MA591G/C/apple-30-pin-to-usb-cable

If you want advice on whether a specific adapter/cable are genuine, post photos of them here and we can try to help out.

The 12w USB adapter you posted in the original post will work just fine (and will work on any other iPad or iPod you may have or get later on). You do not need a wall outlet to charge if you have a computer you can use to charge, however. A USB port on any computer will charge it as well. Don't bother getting a FireWire adapter unless you have an older iPod that requires it.

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Interesting to see some holdover items on the store. They even still have the 30-pin to VGA adapter with the fatty connector. Probably just a lot of leftover stock they have to burn through. I think by now they don't make new ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.