Charging

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kemper28, Jul 2, 2007.

1. kemper28 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if it is ok to charge the phone with any charger that will charge an ipod? I assume yes but wish to ask considering the time I spent over the last 3 days activating. I also have a 12 volt male cigarette plug that has a female USB on the other end of it, do you think I can plug my iphone cable into the 12 volt plug and use it as a car charger?

Is all the Iphone charging brains in the iphone and not the charger?

Thanks for the help,

Jason

2. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

i am assuming that you can do it because they have the same type of connector as an iPod, but i have not tried it yet, good luck

3. eagle33199 macrumors member

I would assume that using an iPod charger would work - i've used an iPod cable at work to plug in/charge the phone this morning without a problem.

As for the car USB power adapter... I'd say use at your own risk. Yes, USB is standardized (ie pin X is positive, pin Y is ground, etc), but you don't know what sort of quality went into the construction of the adapter. A car's 12V system is extremely volatile, and if the adapter isn't properly designed it could pass through spikes and surges to your phone.