Charity Advertising

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mass Hysteria, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Mass Hysteria macrumors regular

Hi all

I just had a call from a local church requesting that I advertise my company in their 2008 diary.

I won't be for several reasons, I just wondered how others feel about it?

2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I don't see any immediate problems with it. What are your reasons?

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Depends on how much they want for it and how big the church is. If you think you might get some sells from it, then why not -- unless you think they'll use the ad money to buy illegal materials and enslave children:eek:

4. Mass Hysteria thread starter macrumors regular

well, I already advertise, and donate to local causes personally (not through the company).

I think I'd rather just keep the company out of it, I bet the charity hardly gets anything from it too.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought you meant charities soliciting free advertising (when I ran a student newspaper, we'd get this, and I felt sorry for them, but we ourselves were a non-profit org trying to keep our own doors open, and ad revenues paid for content).

As for the diary... there should be no untoward pressure to become multiply related to the church. But otherwise, eh, it doesn't seem that bad to me. Advertise or don't advertise in it, just as you would take up or not take up any other pitch to buy advertising space....

6. Mass Hysteria thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm, I best not get into the whole children/church thing here!

7. Mass Hysteria thread starter macrumors regular

god, you mention children and church in the same sentence and the forums shut down!

the pitch wasn't pushy, they didn't say 'advertise with us OR THIS PUPPY WILL DIE!!!' or anything, but, despite my reasons for not advertising, I still feel guilty!

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Depends on what your company does.

Somethings might not go over well in with your customers knowing you support so-and-so church.

A local example - a company that specializes in custom leather products, mainly gayclub wear and bondage gear, made a donation to local Catholic church - church published list of donation over x amount, people in the alternative lifestyle communites found said lists, suddenly did not feel comfortable ordering stuff from company.

9. Mass Hysteria thread starter macrumors regular

this tale has another twist!

^^^^ exactly the reason i keep my company and personal life separate.

However, after some further correspondence, it seems the person who contacted me was not actually from the church, but was calling 'on their behalf', after I told him that I was not interested, he thanked me for my time and proceeded to invite me to look at another of his ventures, namely this

I stand by my decision, what the hell drives these people?