Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA
So I tested it on a 2012 macbook air(4 years technology difference) and the Emulator was moving in slow motion. I had significantly better performance on the 4 years older laptop!

I have a 2011 MBA and it does pretty good in the GPU department. Mostly because it has the NVIDIA chipset instead of the integrated GPU on the later models.

goulibouli

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
I am not too technical but I don't understand what Apple did with this GPU thing. I did try a Gamecube Emulator on my core2duo macbook( '08) and it worked fine, few frame drops but playable. So I tested it on a 2012 macbook air(4 years technology difference) and the Emulator was moving in slow motion. I had significantly better performance on the 4 years older laptop!

I am not sure if this is moving forward or backward for Apple, not sure why its happening, but its embarrassing. To put things into perspective, the difference between the macbook air and Nintendo Gamecube is the same difference between the release of Playstation 1 and Playstation 3.

Nothing to add, you understood my point.

Macbook have 4 to 6 years of late graphic components which can barely play games from 2008.

My 4 years old Air is as powerful today's Macbook Air in terms of graphics, which is unacceptable, but it's mostly unacceptable for the Retina Macbook Pro's 13" which graphic cars is less powerful than a three generation old mobile GPU...

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
No disrespect, but I believe you don't know *any* video editor and no, rMBPs and Mac Pro are certainly not the standard. In case of the Mac Pro not anymore, sadly.

lol you're funny. i work and live in the LA area and every post production house, every set that i go to, literally any studio or creative work space uses macs.

I'm sorry that it clashes with your fanboy mentality

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Tbh I'd sooner expect 8GB standard than a €/$100 price drop. They need to keep the Air and Pro separate, and a price drop would have more opting for the better Pro. I'm hoping they make the entry model 8GB standard, as well as 256SSD -but that's me being very optimistic on the latter!

Looks like you and zedsdead had it right. I'm pleasantly surprised that Apple realized their mistake in temporarily downgrading the 13" rMBP to only 4GB RAM as standard. Feel kinda bad for anyone who bought one of those. Now here's hoping the next round of iOS devices also get an increase in RAM.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
My 4 years old Air is as powerful today's Macbook Air in terms of graphics, which is unacceptable, but it's mostly unacceptable for the Retina Macbook Pro's 13" which graphic cars is less powerful than a three generation old mobile GPU...

It might be ok with the Air, but for the high prices paid for the pro I don't see why Apple keeps doing this. If they are worried about battery life, couldn't they let the graphics card out of daily processing and once an intensive applications runs like games, the card would kick in. Its really a shame that a 2014 PRO laptop can't run 2011 games.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
You want a minor refresh to come with a significant upgrade? I don't think that's possible.

Yes, I'm demanding that way. I should have clarified "minor refresh to the processor". IMHO, it's an embarrassment that Apple didn't upgrade to the nVidia 800 series. Especially since rumors have Broadwell at mid-2015 and other manufacturers have already released laptops with nVidia 800's. This is their Pro laptop with a price to match.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.