Chase Bank Reviews

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blevins321, Oct 16, 2011.

1. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hi all,

I'm considering changing banks to Chase, and was hoping to find some good reviews of current customers. Some of the draws for me are the number of locations in my area, and the mobile banking support (particularly mobile check deposits). Online bill pay is also a plus for me. I wouldn't have monthly charges because I'd do direct paycheck deposit. So, thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I have chase and haven't had any problems. Online bill pay is very easy.

I think you get like $125 bucks for signing up for a chase checking account.

I use their mobile app all the time to pay pills, transfer funds etc..

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Disclaimer: I have never had Chase.

I wouldn't do it. My husband and I switched to Wells Fargo last year despite all of the reviews. We just went with the people who said "I've never had any problems." We massively regret wasting out time. Chase has been reviewed just as poorly, if not more so.

Given that I have no experience with Chase, I would recommend staying away from the "Big Three": Bank of America, Chase, and Wells Fargo. Look for a credit union or try one of the banks that is known for their customer satisfaction. We are switching to Ally, and if that doesn't work will be going to a credit union.

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

It depends greatly on your local branch. I've been using Chase my entire banking life, and they've been great. Of course, I have direct deposit and never ovedraft or even go to the bank, but the initial meeting was fine. The point system on their debit card is awesome as well, I got a $200 gift card the past two years with the amount of money I spend.

No complaints here.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

They seem to be pretty much the same as any other bank I have used. They did add a $15 monthly fee to my once free small business checking account so I switched to Wells Fargo. Which now has fees of it's own though they are not as bad.

Other than that. The only plus I could really say is that their branches have the hottest tellers. Otherwise big banks are all the same. I know I could switch to a credit union but the small savings are not worth the hassle of a lack of locations to deposit checks.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I've used Chase ever since they bought Washington Mutual. No complaints whatsoever, the mobile app is good too not sure about mobile check deposits though.

7. 7254278 macrumors 68020

Ive had a terrible experience with Chase. I use USAA online and my local credit union, much better than these big scumbag for profit banks. . . Anyone who has used a credit union would never go back, I am sure of it. . .

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If your banking needs are not particularly complex (i.e. you don't have a mortgage or other significant loan) the only bank you should consider switching to is USAA.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My brother switched to PNC from Chase. He was unemployed at the time, the Chase employees kept trying to push a new credit card on him, and practically confined him while he waited to deposit his tax return. That visit took far too long and was much too unsettling. All he wanted to do was deposit his check!

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Credit Unions FTMFW.

USAA isn't available to everyone, IIRC.

Credit Unions will take care of their members. Banks will not.

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've been using Chase for 12 years with zero problems. I use the online bill pay service to pay all my bills. And since it's only 2 blocks from my house, it's super convenient.

12. marc11 macrumors 68000

I've been with Chase since the days they merged with Chemical bank. The number of ATMs and branches they have is amazing. Very few fees. Great customer service and the online banking is awesome especially the iPhone and iPad apps. I even had an ATM card stolen with tons if charges once no problems had all my money back the next day.

I also have a credit union for my cards and loans due to the great rates. But for day to day banking and massive ATM access plus one of the best online banking apps Chase wins hands down for me.

13. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

If you have PNC, go with them. I've had Wachovia/Wells, BBT, and Bank of America. All of them do not stand up to the level of service I get from PNC.

14. eric/ Guest

eric/

Don't go with Chase. Two reasons:

They accepted bailout money
    They will be moving to charge for debit card fees like the other big banks

Choose a local bank or credit union.

USAA if you can. Best bank on the planet.

15. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I've been with Chase since they bought out Bank One several years ago - no real problems. Pretty convenient locations, great app for the iPhone/iPad.

That said, they're pretty much like any other bank. Tellers are friendly (when I actually need to see one...maybe 6 or 7 times a year.) I've heard they're considering charging for their debit card, and if they do, I've already got a USAA checking account set up, and I'll be ready to switch if they want to push that fee through.

You can deposit checks for USAA at most UPS stores for no charge, but I rarely need to do that anyway. The biggest change would be transferring my direct deposit from Chase to USAA.

16. Gamoe, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

Gamoe macrumors regular

I had Chase for a while after they gobbled up the failing Washington Mutual. They kept me "grandfathered" into their no-fee plan for a while, then finally started charging me. Keeping me on my old no-fee plan I had had for years prior was "a very nice gesture" according to the rep I spoke with. Then I switched banks.

All these mega-banks care more about their bottom line than us. Why not give a local Credit Union a try? Not all credit unions are great, but your chances are infinitely better than with the mega-banks. In a credit union, you are the shareholder- the bottom line. And lots of credit unions only require that you live or work in the geographical area for membership. They have Bill Pay systems just like the big banks. And they have agreements that let you use many ATMs for free or even deposit and withdraw at a different Credit Union(!)

I belong to a state-wide bank and a credit union. I have been with the bank much longer and I have no complaints. However, I've developed a much closer and friendlier relationship with the credit union people and they do go out of their way to help you out. They notarized some papers for my girlfriend for free even though she wasn't a member. The next week, she signed up and is much happier than with her former bank (Regions). Anecdotal- maybe. But I bet you'll find stories like these far more common of credit unions, or even smaller banks than large banks.

17. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

Went with CU

Thanks for the tips everyone. I ended up going with a credit union called Digital Federal Credit Union out of Massachusetts. They're one of the few credit unions that has the mobile and PC check deposits. And since shared credit union transactions are free, I can do pretty much everything from a local one if necessary. I considered USAA too, but they put too many restrictions on people who aren't associated with the military.

18. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Good job - Credit Unions rule.

If people knew the differences between CUs and banks, my guess is that CUs would be even more popular than they are now.

If you've been reading this thread and don't know the differences, do yourself a favor and do just a bit of research and you may be very surprised.

19. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Since USAA was created *for* military families, unfortunately you can't just sign up with them if you have no connection. Thankfully my dad was in the Air Force, and we all have many accounts with them. My kids would be eligible because *I'm* with them, even though I wasn't in the military myself.