Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chase Bank today announced that it will be shutting down its Chase Pay app for iOS and Android in early 2020, at which point the QR code-based payment service will no longer be available for use in stores.

chase-pay-qr.jpg

Chase said it is shifting its focus to expanding Chase Pay's presence in more merchant apps and websites, including Grubhub and the new Chase Center venue app launching for the upcoming Golden State Warriors season.

"We continue to focus on our customers and they are using the Chase Pay button on merchant websites and in merchant apps, and now their tap-to-pay Chase cards more than ever," said Eric Connolly, head of Chase Pay. "So, we're shifting our focus to expand Chase Pay's presence in more merchant apps and websites."

Chase Pay failed to gain significant traction in stores, likely because it is less convenient than contactless payment solutions like Apple Pay and Google Pay. In fairness, Chase has also offered Apple Pay since 2014.

Chase began informing customers about this news by email today.

Article Link: Chase Pay App to Shut Down in Early 2020, Will Become Limited to Websites and Apps

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Not surprising. It was always an awkward service to have anyway, and very redundant. I'm actually pleased to hear they're killing it off and devoting those resources to better use.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
I mean, those executives must have been high on something when thinking up the idea in the first place. They don’t deserve to be sitting on their high salaries.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
These companies just keep throwing their money away developing these systems. It's the hardware, stupid. Of course people are going to prefer secure systems built into their smartphone and smartwatch that works at a lot of places already. They should all just give up. Adding some QR code function buried in an app was always a bad idea. I've been saying this for years.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Just wish Kroger, Walmart and the rest would follow suit. I like Chase a lot, they gave us the option of chase pay and/or Apple Pay from the beginning.

I suspect that won't happen until they get some sort of incentive from the card networks (e.g. lower interchange for contactless) or Apple Pay/contactless use becomes so great that they actively lose customers.

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
Same. Never knew this existed (and probably wouldn’t have used it even if I was aware of it).

They sent me a marketing email about a month ago outlining all the great things I can do with Chase Pay on my phone, including fumbling around with it to generate a QR code at the checkout line. I sent them a note about how absurd that was and that they should give up.

The listened to me! The system works!

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
I suspect that won't happen until they get some sort of incentive from the card networks (e.g. lower interchange for contactless) or Apple Pay/contactless use becomes so great that they actively lose customers.

Kroger, via Harris Teeter [they own HT now], lost me to Food Lion for dual reasons of pricing and Apple Pay. The remodeled FL stores are REALLY nice (but yes HT stores are nicer and have more "accessory" items, like food bar and pizza bar in some). For "groceries", FL has what I need. I don't need the overpriced "accessory" items in HT like the pizza bar, bread bar, etc.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Just wish Kroger, Walmart and the rest would follow suit. I like Chase a lot, they gave us the option of chase pay and/or Apple Pay from the beginning.
I only used Walmart Pay for Guaranteed Lowest Prices. Now that is gone, there is no reason to use it. A Walmart clerk told me WP usage has gone to near zero with the change in policy.

I am stuck using Walmart as the is NO real grocery competition. Giant Eagle is way too expensive and Aldies doesn’t appeal to me.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I only used Walmart Pay for Guaranteed Lowest Prices. Now that is gone, there is no reason to use it. A Walmart clerk told me WP usage has gone to near zero with the change in policy.

I am stuck using Walmart as the is NO real grocery competition. Giant Eagle is way too expensive and Aldies doesn’t appeal to me.
For now putting the Apple Card virtual numbers inside of Walmart Pay was the next best thing. I still only have to use my phone.

I long and yearn for the day I can just use Apple Pay there though. Its not like I will stop using the WM app because it is useful to find stuff (much like Target's app) which I understand is their desire. I just don't want to have to pay with a QR code, and manage multiple accounts when I forget to update a credit card.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Correct me if I’m wrong, but this app started out in life as the MCX payment method (the anti-wireless payments trade group lead by Walmart in the US, eventually collapsed when all members defected) but when they realized no consumer in their right mind wants some store reaching right into their bank account they sold it for salvage value to Chase

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Payment services shouldn't be tied to a specific bank or merchant. I'm hoping all these pointless payment services go away soon so everyone can finally just enable contactless/Apple Pay and we can stop worrying about whether a merchant takes it or not.

Even Starbucks, who has their own payment app, eventually enabled contactless in their stores. Contactless payments are extremely fast and require almost no fumbling; merchants should WANT to adopt it if only to keep the checkout lines moving faster!

Not only that, but if a store wants to offer their own card, they can! Just make it a standard Visa/MC/etc. and allow folks to add it to Apple Pay. Target has done this, why can't everyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.