Chat bubble colors in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by spiderman0616, Oct 22, 2013.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Some weirdness happening in Mavericks that I'm sure means something, but I just can't find what it means.

Now when my wife sends me an iMessage and I'm looking at it in Mavericks, her chat bubbles are pink. When I look at a group message, the chat bubbles are yellow. A buddy from work sent me an iMessage, and they were blue like normal.

Anyone know what all this means? I'm sure yellow just means group message, but I have no idea why my wife's messages are pink now.

2. jgc macrumors regular

Because they know she's a woman!

I think it's just assigning colours to people and conversations as they come and go. I haven't really noticed a pattern yet.

3. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Messages, Preferences, Viewing Tab

Attached Files:

4. wdog119 macrumors member

I've also noticed this.

This is a group chat with my brother, his friend, and I.
    [​IMG]

Here is a chat with my mom.
    [​IMG]

I've never set any colors for any chats. Upgraded to Mavericks and its gotten funky.

While I kinda like the coloring, I haven't seen how to change it. Also, on the one with my mom. Both of our bubbles are that same color blue. Hmmm.

Anyone else have the same issues?

5. hexon macrumors member

In iMessage settings there are options to change the colors. With Mavericks they let you choose your own color that you want people to see, but it randomly picks one for you from the start, until you change it. Click on the "viewing" tab in preferences and you can change the sender's color back to clear, or whatever you want it to be.

6. wdog119 macrumors member

Yup, this Fixed it. Why would it make it all funky just by the Automatic setting?

7. SoloStyle macrumors regular

It's not the Automatic setting that's making it funky, it's because your friend has actually went in and changed their chat bubble color. I didn't know anybody even bothered with that! Some of my chats with friends are pink, yellow, dark blue, red. But I've verified with each one that they actually went into their settings and changed the color themselves.

If you don't want to see their chat bubble colors, you can go into settings and set it to display all chat bubbles in the way you want. (font/color/etc)

8. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

One of my friends chat bubble was changed to yellow but they never changed it. How I know, they don't have a mac. So for her, the chat bubble is yellow, for my mom it's blue...

9. Mrawr macrumors member

I've been noticing the same thing. And it seems completely arbitrary. A lot of the people don't own Macs, so they're not changing their own font colors. :confused:

10. bradpaulp macrumors newbie

Me too

I also just noticed it this morning. Freaked me out at first. The people that have their color changed to lest say yellow or pink, I also know for certain they do not have mac's. most of them have iPhones only.

Interestingly enough, the ones that DO have a mac, there chat color hasn't changed. I wonder if an update to iOS is going to let you adjust your color as you can on Mac. (*Insert 11 month long rumor here as to next iOS changes*)