Chat or Call AT&T if your contract end date is a couple months out!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lKeithStone, Sep 11, 2014.

1. lKeithStone macrumors member

My contract end date wasn't until 11/9, so I figured I would at least try to get it moved up. I used the chat feature on AT&T's website, here is my conversation:

Keith M: Okay, it's saying my contract end date for the ***-***-**** number is 11/09/14. Is there any way we can move that to today so I'm able to pre order the iPhone 6 tomorrow?

Keith M: I'm willing to agree to another 2 year contract

Brigitte Dominique: In order to do a early upgrade it would be 250.00 plus the price of the phone, or you could upgrade with the AT&T Next

Keith M: I'm not willing to pay an extra $250 to upgrade a month and a half early. I've been a customer for a long time. Is there anything you can do to let me pay the normal contract fee for the phone?

Brigitte Dominique: Let me look into this for you

Keith M: Thank you

Brigitte Dominique: You're welcome

Brigitte Dominique: At this time we can't override a upgrade for a device that has is not yet available there is no way for us to order the phone. What we can do get a manager to provide approval for the process. Then you would have to chat back in so it can be done for you

Keith M: Okay, so tomorrow morning the phone is capable of being pre ordered. I would need to call or chat back in once the preorder is available?

Brigitte Dominique: One moment please

Keith M: Okay

Brigitte Dominique: Yes, you would be able to chat back in tomorrow, or I can set a commitment with you tomorrow to call you back at around 5pm and order the phone with you

Keith M: Okay, well here is the thing... I'm one of those crazy people that is going to stay up until 2:00am so I can be one of the first to pre order the phone. Can I call in at 2:00am to get approval and pre order the phone on Apples website?

Brigitte Dominique: Yes, you will be able to order the phone

Keith M: Okay, can you please put a note on my account to make sure this will go smoothly so I'm not waking up at 2:00am and finding out this isn't possible?

Brigitte Dominique: Of course!! I have already added the note onto the account. I got your back Keith

WOO HOO!!! iPhone 6 here I come!! :D :apple: :apple: :apple:

2. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Sorry man, I highly doubt this will work.

Apparently, talking to support people both from Apple and ATT is useless, they don't know jack!

3. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

She got managers approval and noted my account. AT&T also sent me a text message stating:

"AT&T Free Msg: I'm glad we were able to view the contract end date and override that upgrade for you today! Enjoy that new phone :)"

Why would it not work when I have proof that this was approved?

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I suggest you call customer service and ask when you're eligible for an upgrade. Don't mention what you chatted about. See if they say the same thing. Good luck.

5. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

Isn't customer support closed at that time though?

6. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

It just seems unlikely when some people were begging for a mere 2 days on another thread and they wouldn't budge.

Its AT&T we are talking about, seem highly unlikely.

7. childoftheko4n macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and agree with others, it didn't work.

I did the same a few days ago, and while online chat they had a "managers approval note" on my account, it meant nothing. I went to local store today to verify all is good to go for tomorrow, and nope. They won't honor the note for new iPhones.

8. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

I just did and the lady said it was approved, but it will not show the new contract date on the website until I call in at 2:00 a.m. and buy the phone.

9. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

You can't call at 2am. They'll be closed so I hope you meant when you order online at 2am.

10. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Lol. Sorry man. This isn't going to work.

11. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

I was told same and then someone called me back saying they won't be able to do this during the pre order period. You might be able to get it done after the 19th if at all. But that they can not override upgrade dates over the phone. The whole threaten to walk to verizon doesn't work either. They've heard that one before.

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You're screwed. The chat agents know nothing. They are temp hires that just read from a script. I just asked one if they know about the Next upgrades for New Yorkers being blocked at apple.com or att.com. The agent swore it wasn't true. I pointed out the message on apple.com and he said it wasn't true.

This upgrade is going to be very painful....

13. nyc410 macrumors member

I was in this same situation with one of my lines when i was pre ordering the iPhone 5. There is SOME truth to what the rep told you. Don't expect to be able to talk anyone at 2/3 am since at that time there aren't many (or any) supervisors around and apparently they need some supervisor approval at that time.

The day before preorders opened for the 5, i was told the same thing, tried to do it but wasnt able to till like 8 am. By that point the pre order list had gone so long that i didn't get that iPhone 5 till about 3.5 WEEKS AFTER release day.

Luckily my main line that i personally use was eligible so i preordered mine on apple for that line and wasnt completely disappointed. Otherwise i would have been devastated to have to wait 3.5 weeks to see the iPhone 5

14. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

Well you all are a bunch of Debbie Downers. Haha :p

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Lol sorry OP but I highly doubt this will work. It went from we can't do anything to ok we "put a note" on the account and you can upgrade now.

Notes mean nothing. It's all automated. The computer either has you flagged for upgrade or not. It doesn't read notes written by an associate.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah this isn't going to work. iPhone 6 here you come...on November the 9th.

17. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

I can't help but laugh that you think this is going to work. You're going to bed very upset tonight.

Why did you buy an iPhone in November a couple years ago if you're one of those "crazy people" that want it when it releases? If you got the 5 during release, they would likely have bumped up your date since it was a few days. I was 2 weeks shy of an upgrade with Verizon and they automatically bumped me up for an upgrade without me even asking.

18. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

Because I have a Note 2 right now, not an iPhone. Laugh all you want, I'm okay with that.

19. nyc410 macrumors member

Sorry bro, I'd just rather you know now and be prepared accordingly than find this out at 2 or 3 am and then have no options other than to just wait

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Best of luck. Would love to hear your reports back on whether this worked or not. I have my doubts too, to be completely honest.

21. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yup, I did this to one of my lines a few days back. They noted my account also. Ready to go. My main line is eligible regularly, so I will be ordering that online, but will also be on the phone at 3am EST. They said I had to call in and they can manually override the upgrade.

Looks like AT&T is doing what they always do on launch days. Just call in and ask nicely and they're granting early upgrades :cool:

22. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Call AT&T at 3am?!!.,doubt it. I'm pretty sure they will be closed.

23. troy14 macrumors 6502a

No one else is surprised that the rep said "I got your back Keith" ????!

24. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I don't know if the regular sales line is open, but AT&T Premier is.