chat question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GregE, Jan 29, 2008.

1. GregE macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I'm new to the Mac world with my iMac (and loving it) and would like to chat with my family. I need to chat (some audio only, some audio and video, some screen sharing) with my sisters who are on iMac's as well as other family that are on Windows PC's. Also, my mother-in-law will be going to Peru for a month and we would like to be able to video chat with her.

My questions are, what would be the best way to do all of this? iChat? What type of account do the Mac users need and Windows users need? AIM? GMail? Something else? A friend was telling me how he uses Skype. Would that be a way to do it? Better than iChat?

All advise is appreciated and any links to show how to set it up too.

TIA

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

iChat (with a free GMail-account, e.g.) would do everything you want for you and your mac-friends / relatives.
    For those with windows, I think Skype is the best solution, though you can't do screensharing (but everything else you mentioned).

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Skype is better than anything since you have contacts on both OSX and Windows.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

7. GregE thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I should have typed that differently. I don't expect to screenshare with the Windows users.

I was thinking when my MIL is in Peru, she may want to chat with more than one of her kids at the same time. Skype works for me there.

I may just setup both iChat and Skype. I think my sisters would rather just use iChat with a GMail account.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, indeed, im sure you got enough HDD for both of them:D

9. GregE thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe. :rolleyes: