Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Back in my day, we logged on to AOL and there was a whole host of chat rooms ready for us to go into.

It seems as if chat rooms have taken a back seat to social media and forums these days.

But, I could just be out of the loop. It looks like most chat rooms are IRC today. So, let me ask, are there any security risks to using IRC chats? Are there chat sites out there that have a big community and a list of chat rooms to go to?

Looks like some people download an IRC program, while other sites operate from the browser. What are the advantages to each?

And are there any macrumors chat rooms out there? I saw a chat thread up in the list but the link didn't work.

Just looking to get up to date on chat rooms today! =)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
MacRumors has its own IRC channel, see the instructions here. Using an app is recommended because some webchat clients are blocked due to spammers. A dedicated app is also easier if you want to join the chat more often and IMO it also takes less space on my desktop.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks =)

I can't use Colloquy, I don't own a mac. Do you have any windows suggestions?

Personally I use Trillian because it integrates all IM services I use (MSN, Google Talk, AIM etc). Haven't really used any other good, freeware IRC clients for Windows. Trillian requires a little work with IRC but I guess I can help you, it's not that difficult anyway.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Looking up newserver
* Unknown host. Maybe you misspelled it?
Cycling to next server in irc.krono.net...
* Disconnected ().
* Looking up newserver
* Unknown host. Maybe you misspelled it?

Bear with me here. What am I doing wrong? (Using Xchat)

Thanks for indulging me.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I can't use Colloquy, I don't own a mac.

STONE HIM!!!!
Townsfolk-1.gif

terical.gif

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Back in my day, we logged on to AOL and there was a whole host of chat rooms ready for us to go into......

lol....I remember those chat rooms. As I recall the main issue discussed was whether "Hanson rules!!!!!!" or "Hanson SUXXX!!!!" :D

I wonder if AOL still has chat rooms anymore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.