Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crimson16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
IDK if this is a special promotion or not, but you can order a 16gb kit off amazon from Komputerbay for $140.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00698WP50/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

After reading the forums and other amazon.com reviews it appeared that they are a kinda hit and miss company in terms of sending you bad ram. But amazon has free returns and exchanges so I figured on the off chance I got bad ram I'd just keep returning it until I got a pair that worked. For less then half the price of OWC It would def be worth the hassle so I took a chance. It came several days early, I put it in my early 2011 core i5 MBPRO, and immediately ran memtest in single user mode. It took a couple hours to finish but the memory checked out fine. Since then I haven't had any problems. In fact the only hassle I had was finding the #00 screwdriver that I needed to take the bottom of the MBPRO. My computer has had a huge speed boost and I haven't seen a spinning beach ball since I upgraded. Also, for all those on here that say why get 16gb when 8gb will do I say that may be true right now, but in another year or two that will not be the case. Remember only a few years ago more then 4gb on a laptop was considered overkill. I see it as a way of futureproofing. Oh yeah i'm running 10.7.2 Lion.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
KomputerBay is a computer shop (like your local computer store). They are not a RAM manufacturer. I just dropped this ram into my 2011 mbp and it worked just fine. All 16GB were seen and no issue thus far.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
KomputerBay is a computer shop (like your local computer store). They are not a RAM manufacturer. I just dropped this ram into my 2011 mbp and it worked just fine. All 16GB were seen and no issue thus far.

I am aware of that, but they are also just rebranding.

My problem is longevity, sure they offer a "Lifetime warranty" but who is providing the warranty? The manufacturer? KomputerBay? If KomputerBay goes out of business, are you SOL?

Saving a few bucks is not worth the risk. Sure the memory works but the bigger questions are warranty as well as binning? Are these bargain basement reject chips?

I would not buy this RAM from KomputerBay just as I wouldn't buy rebranded RAM from my local computer store.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
agreed,

But it was a pretty good deal. If it craps out down the line, I'll just purchase another set. By that time all brands will be around the same price. But so far, its working well with no issues at all.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I would never buy that RAM.

Come on, "Komputerbay?"

i purchased some the other day for my iMac i7, runs so much smoother with the extra, faster ram. £26 for 8GB DDR3 1333... i dont really care if it ****s up early lol its brilliant!

The RAM chips had an S on them, no idea who manufactures them... but they work brilliantly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.