Cheap 2.1 Speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Symbolism, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Symbolism macrumors newbie

Hi guys, second post ever haha.

I was just wondering, which cheap 2.1 speakers you guys would recommend for my dormroom with my 13 inch MBP. I have my eyes set on two logitech ones:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/for_business/products/speakers_headsets/devices/792&cl=ca,en#

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/4251&cl=us,en

I'm leaning towards the first due to the higher total power. I'm not really familiar with speaker jargon, so I'm not sure if that even means anything, but from the reviews they seem to mean more.

Any insight would be great. Or maybe another 2.1 system you guys could recommend for less than $30.

Thanks!

2. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

3. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I got the Logitech Z4 speakers. They are quite good for the money (49 pounds). I bet they are cheaper in the US than the UK.

4. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I think if you saved up a little more money you would potentially be much happier with your purchase - after all, you didn't pick the cheapest laptop around, either ?!

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

The LS21's look good but only sound OK. Personally, I have a set of Logitech x220's (good luck finding them, BTW) and they are the bomb diggity... for cheap speakers, that is. Tons of bass and volume - just don't match my white iMac very well, lol.

6. Symbolism thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies guys.

But if you had to choose, which of the two would be more acceptable, assuming I use it for music and movies in my dorm room?

Any other speaker systems are still welcomed.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

I have the logitech 320 speakers. I've had them for like 3 months and i really like them. I believe they are 2.1 :)

8. Nuck81 macrumors regular

IMO you'd be much better getting a set of headphones till you can afford a decent 2.1 system.

A system of $100-$150 will have a bigger difference in sound and quality against a $50 system than it will against a $200 one

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I agree with some of the other comments on here. The difference between $30 speakers and $60 speakers are quite different. I would just continue to check ads and sales and see if you can pick up a pair of nice speakers cheaper, while at the same time saving.

There are some gems when it comes to headphones at $30, but those are gems - so even that may not be the best of ideas.

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

if you like the design, the JBL creatures are very nice for the money :)