Cheap <50mm AF prime for t2i ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hitrate, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

Anybody know if there's something in the same prize range (used or new) as Canon 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens (Nifty Fifty) but sized something like between 14 to 35mm?

Thing is, I've got the t2i with 18-55mm kit lens and use it mostly for video. I'm very unsatisfied with that lens. The nifty fifty looks almost perfect, except with the crop factor of t2i, I need something that's much shorter than 50mm for what I wanna do (mostly small room studio shoots). Now I don't particularly like the look of super wide angle lenses that distort "reality" - I like the more flattering look of when you go up to 35mm+, unnoticeable barrel distortion, and a better relation between foreground and background - but I don't know how far I need to go up, in order to get that "look". Basically with the crop factor as opposed to say a 5D Mark II - things quickly become way too "zoomed in".

So in closing - I would really like some recommendations on something that can auto focus, preferably a prime (needs to have constant f-stop) f 1.8, 1.6 or 1.4, around the same prize as nifty fifty, smooth focus (I'll probably put a follow focus ring on it as well) mainly for video use, needs to be sharper and much faster than the kit lens.

Thanks so much :)

2. ThemacNub macrumors regular

3. Hitrate thread starter macrumors regular

Hitrate

Thanks!! So it seems like I'm pretty stuck when it comes to getting a cheap wide angle with low f stop.... Those two in the link look great though. I'd probably wanna get something with a lower f-stop than 2.8 (Denmark is a dark country...) and I think 35mm is pushing it when it comes to how cropped it's gonne look.. I dunno, unless there are other suggestions I guess I'll have to settle with one of them and see if I can get one for a good price.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Basically the lens you want is the 28/2.8. It's reasonably cheap (not 50/1.8 cheap, but the build is better on the 28) and fairly easy to find - you can get one second hand too.

There is a 28/1.8, but it's even more expensive than the f/2.8 version, and if you want wider then your only choice is the 20/2.8. Beyond that, you're in to L territory.

5. Hitrate thread starter macrumors regular

Hitrate

great, I think you guys are right about the 28mm thanks so much ! ;)

6. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

You can also get a 30 mm f/1.4 Sigma. It's more expensive, but once you get used to taking pictures wide open, you don't want to go back :)

7. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Can you save for a few months and afford the Sigma 30mm f/1.4?

8. Hitrate thread starter macrumors regular

Hitrate

If I figure out that it's worth the investment, I could afford it this month...It's hard to decide what would be the best lens length, and f-stop wise now that I'm talking a prime that'll (at least for a while) be permanently on the camera (I'm sure I'll get the nifty fifty at some point also). Think i'd really dig being able to shoot at 1.4 or 1.8 instead of 2.8, as I'm feeling the kit lens wide open at 3.5 is way way way too dark... Tough choice, but I think I'm down to a handful of choices. Guess It'd do me best to rent/tryout a few and then just go for one of the suggested ones.

9. Smurfed macrumors regular

Another one here suggesting the Sigma 30mm f1.4.
    (Because I just recently bought a 60D and will prolly be picking up that lens very soon.)

10. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Even if you don't like it, you can sell it at a minimal loss. I have the Nikon version of the Sigma and it's my always on lens.