cheap and simple home recording studio

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sculfort, Nov 28, 2010.

1. sculfort macrumors member

I have a macbook pro and am looking to set up a cheap and simple home recording studio if you wanna call it that. I have absolutely no idea what is needed in terms of hardware, software, cables. Now when i say studio i will have no instruments being plugged into anything. It will simply be for recording audio and using software for the music/beats. Any suggestions for everything listed above. Hardware needed, software needed, cables needed. Anything helps.

Thanks

2. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Where are you recording this mystical audio from? ;)

3. andrewsd macrumors 6502

need more info

I am with him. We need a little more info to really help you out..:rolleyes:

4. filmweaver macrumors regular

5. johnpeterson macrumors newbie

thanks for the link filmweaver. i'll give this one a try too.

6. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

First, start with GarageBand as your recording studio software; it came free with your MBP, and is a good "beginner" audio workstation app.

In order to record vocals or acoustic guitars, you will need a microphone of some sort. filmweaver's recommendation is good for live/"field" recording. For the studio, you may want something that can capture more nuance. I recommend Audio Technica's AT2020 USB or a Blue Snowball; both connect via USB so that you don't have to have a separate mixer.

You could use GarageBand's built-in virtual keyboard for constructing music and beats, but you'll tire of it quickly. For better hands-on beat construction, the Akai MPC-26 will do the trick. For playing musical passages, a two- or three-octave MIDI keyboard controller, by either M-Audio or Edirol, will do nicely. I have a M-Audio O2. All of these will control GarageBand's built-in synths. Some of these USB controllers are sometimes packaged with "lite" versions of pro software like Logic Express or Cubase; that'll give you a feel of what's possible beyond GarageBand.

These can be found at several places online, including Sweetwater.com, Musician's Friend, or Music123.com.

7. sculfort thread starter macrumors member

good advice guys..keep it coming. Could you link to the correct Akai MPC-26 you are talking about? I tried to find it but there seems to be a ton of different variations with different number. thanks

8. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

The LOWEST COST SOLUTION (~$560)

Apogee ONE ($249) - has a built-in condenser mic and single instrument input, USB, industry-standard pre-amps, excellent output and portability
    GarageBand ($0) - Free, great instruments, limited, Jam Packs are expensive
    iDrum ($59) - Great software drum machine for making beats
    M-Audio Axiom 25 2nd Gen ($250) - Portable, Good keys, ability to control Garageband

The MEDIUM COST SOLUTION (~$700)

Remove iDrum (-$59)
    Add Logic Express (+$199) - Has UltraBeat which is an amazing drum machine. Logic has the ability to turn any sample into a software instrument and gives you choices to break down by rhythm or poly, perfect for sampling your favorite drum loops as new instruments.

9. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

There are several models in the Akai MPC series. Apparently, the higher the number, the more controls and capabilities of the machine. You might be able to find a refurb MPC-16 for cheap, and it's a good start.

You'll also want to consider ByteOfApple's suggestions, especially, the M-Audio Axiom 25, which has a two-octave keyboard and eight drum pads built into the same machine.