Cheap Apple In-Ear Headphones on eBay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ImperialX, Aug 14, 2010.

1. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

I recently lost my Sennheise CX300-IIs and is looking at a new pair of In-Ears for my iPhone. I really miss the ability to adjust volume, answer calls, play music etc with the headset so I'm interested in the Apple In-Ear headphones.

Living in New Zealand, it's really hard for me to get my hands on these from the Apple Store, so I looked on eBay, and I see a lot of very cheap ones, for only about $30USD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Apple-MA850...t=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories#ht_1926wt_1061

This person has a lot of positive feedback, including ones for this product, but the price seems too good to be true...

What do you guys reckon? Do you think it's safe to make a purchase?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No! There was a thread awhile ago that said that these were clever fakes with terrible sound quality. I can't find the link though.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I've bought a lot of stuff off of eBay...a few years ago. I now use Amazon and will never look back. BTW - Why go with the Apple headset? There are a number of good headsets for the same or lower price. Good luck

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

He wants the volume controls and remote.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The cheap "apple" head phones are as bad as the full price ones and the cord seems to be shorter.

I agree there are better for less.
    unless of course you have to have white.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I use sony and klipsch head phones with the Belkin adaptor, couldnt be happier

7. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Thanks guys, I think I'll avoid eBay then.

I wanted to go for these ones because I doubt I can find better dual drivers IEMs with controls for less than $80USD. Also, it's really hard to buy anything here in New Zealand so I don't have too much choice.

Amazon doesn't even ship over here.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I'm happy with my apple IEM's, especially since I got them off the clearance shelf for 50% discount... a couple people bought them to use with 1st gen iPod touches not realizing the volume/mic wasn't compatible....

9. neil1980 macrumors 6502

i've bought loads of cheap apple headphones off ebay previousy.

Sound quality varies but generally worse than the OE Apple ones.

Ideal for gym/running if you just want music, don't care about sound quality but want the ability to change tracks and volume and want to do it cheaply so you can bin them without worrying if you ruin them.

If you care about sound quality then I wouldn't bother with them

10. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

lol, I don't think $30 is something you can just "bin" that easily. That's the same price as a pair of Klipsch S2s or CX300s, and those are pretty good IEMs.