Cheap apple products website? Legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andrewlgm, Aug 27, 2011.

1. andrewlgm, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011

andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

Just ran across this website. It lists apple products for a very insane discount - once you add stuff to your cart and decide to check out - they add the items to your amazon cart and from there on, you make your purchase. How legit is this website? It appears they have multiple amazon seller accounts - fishy - but apparently your purchase would be protected under Amazon's terms.

URL was removed

2. upaymeifixit, Aug 27, 2011

upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

EDIT: I'm going to pretend I wan't involved in this thread...

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

The items he is selling are used. No idea of the condition, warranty or if he even ships them, but they are clearly marked as used when you follow the check out to Amazon's site.

4. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Well they have new and used products. But I wound not be worried about buying from them it's just an affiliate site with amazon script. Which means you are buying from Amazon or Amazon merchants which means you are protected. I didn't think the prices were that cheap anyway.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

6. jmontalto21 macrumors newbie

Web Site - Cheap Apple

This is my site, it is 100% safe. It is an Amazon Affiliate store front. Whatever you purchase is backed by Amazon/eBay. We also have the recent eBay listings for each item. This was designed for College Students to help cover the cost of tuition.

There is nothing "shady" about this site. Many items are used, that is why its Cheap. Obviously there are no MacBook Pro's brand new for $599! :rolleyes:

7. jmontalto21, Aug 28, 2011

jmontalto21 macrumors newbie

We have multiple amazon seller accounts because we have... multiple websites and we have to track where the orders and sales are coming from. Not sure how that makes it fishy.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

So how and why did you join TODAY? The plot thickens...

10. jmontalto21 macrumors newbie

Because I saw my google analytics spike in traffic from this site.

You want contact information? Like it says it is all Amazon and eBay price comparison and listings. Amazon and eBay are the responsible parties since you are essentially purchasing the items from them.

OLD-WHIZ - haha how is the website not legit? All I am is redirecting Amazon and eBay links through a store front and it even tells you right on the front page. The buyer sees for themselves when they checkout. They are taken to the proper seller (Amazon or eBay).

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

My rule of thumb is "If the deals look too good to be true, they are."

And based on that standard, there's no reason this site wouldn't be legit. Like the owner who signed up to comment says, it's just an Amazon storefront, and none of the deals you're getting are any better than you'd get if you shopped the "See more new and used" section on Amazon itself.

The site owner isn't selling any of the stuff him/herself, just getting the Amazon affiliate cut if you purchase Amazon or Amazon Marketplace items through the site. It's no different than any of the Amazon affiliate banner ads or "Buy from Amazon" links on the web, it's just wrapped in a nice shell and filtered to only show certain products. When you "check out", you just hand the contents of the cart off to an Amazon cart, and check out from there.

I've set up something functionally the same with anime DVDs in the past--Amazon even has a tool to build and custom-skin your own store if you want.

Not advocating for or against buying anything through the site in question (again, you'd get identical deals shopping directly through Amazon itself), I just don't like to see people arguing something is a scam when it's almost certainly not when you look at how it's set up. Not saying that assuming the worst on the internet isn't usually warranted, hive of scum and villainy that it is, but that's not always the case.

12. jmontalto21 macrumors newbie

Thank you for seeing this as what it is. People tend to over think things and automatically assume something is a scam. This website is designed to show you the Amazon prices as well as links to current eBay auctions for that product. Similar to what you do when you visit Shopzilla. They don't actually sell anything either, just a shopping price comparison website.

13. andrewlgm thread starter macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

Hey, sorry if this thread caused any troubles. I guess all the more traffic to your site. Good luck.

14. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Why was the URL removed? I kind of wanted to look at the site again.

15. mfr1340 macrumors regular

apple store ram costs

I have been looking into getting the macbook pro 17" 750 hd, but when I see that the apple store charges a 630% markup on the 8 gigs of ram , not including instlation it makes me wonder if I should get my macbook pro at BB.

16. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Anybody really wanting to contact the owner of that website shouldn't have too much trouble doing it. Based in Sound Beach, New York. Full address and telephone is publicly available.

17. jmontalto21 macrumors newbie

I know its insane. Memory should not cost that much. 8gb will be screaming fast though :cool: