Cheap AppleCare for 15" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HGJZ, Oct 24, 2012.

1. HGJZ macrumors newbie

I know that eBay used to be a hotbed for cheap AppleCare, but it seems that it's all gone now.

What are the new places? (Ones that offer buyer protection, or at least payment via PayPal.)

Feel free to PM me (however that's done on this forum).

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed B&H have the best deals ive seen, on hitch is they only deliver that item within the united states

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I recently received my AppleCare for my iMac from B&H - zero problems

4. Mdwall macrumors member

How cheap is cheap? I see several on the 'bay for considerably less than they retail for

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

right now for the 15"/17" including 15rMBP its 244 compated toe 344 from apple, ive seen it under 200 before

6. HGJZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I saw B&H before. Looks legit.

But AppleCare used to go for $100-something.

I'm wondering if there are eBay-type places that still have it this cheap...

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Going through eBay for Applecare can be bad news. There's a lot of people that have had problems when they've tried to register their computers that way. The cheapest, safest route is to go through B&H. I've purchased from there on my last two computers.

When you say Applecare used to go for $100-something, how long ago was that? At least for a 15" MBP it's always been above $200 from what I recall. The cost of Applecare varies quite a lot based on what product you're buying it for, though.

8. HGJZ thread starter macrumors newbie

I have had good experience with buying AppleCare from eBay in the past 6 years — I bought about 5 of them for various Macs.

I got it for a 15-inch MBP for about $115 in 2010 or so.

As I said, I'm not looking for eBay deals anymore, because they are pretty much the same as B&H now. Looking for the next best place. Feel free to PM me.

9. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'm just passing on information...there have been a lot of problems with people getting scammed on eBay when purchasing Applecare. If you can find it and feel comfortable taking the risk, go for it.

10. HGJZ thread starter macrumors newbie

And, as I said, I'm not looking for eBay deals anymore, because they are pretty much the same as B&H now. Looking for the next best place.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ill be very surprised if you find a deal thats legit and cheaper than B&H like i said its 244 now but ive seen it in the $199 range if you have to buy now than $244 is sitll good if you have 10 months before you have to buy than wait a bit

12. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

When I bought my Mac from B&H Applecare was $99, too good to pass up. It included Parallels for free too.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good point i wonder if thats the price the other person mentioned

B&H do give it very cheap as an add on when purchasing a mac from them

14. jeffh macrumors member

From past experience, eBay AppleCare has always registered fine for me. However, *transferring* that AppleCare to someone else, where you have to send Apple your proof of purchase, is a no-go when you've bought it from eBay. Apple doesn't go for that.

15. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Fyi

FYI: As of mid-2011 when I Registered my MBP Applecare here in Canada, you were required to 'provide proof of purchase from an Authorized Seller' with an Invoice (I sent a jpeg Image of) from where you purchased it.. Period!!

Previously I had also purchased from ebay, but not the last time.. There was no other option when I did mine a year ago.. :apple:

16. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yeah, B&H is the cheapest...it's similar to the Education price you get when you show a student ID (or buy through the Apple site in the Edu store).

I've bought AppleCare from eBay before for my 2008 MBP back a few years ago for around $120, was legit and had 3-4 repairs done without issues.

I think there was some kind of loophole that Apple closed that requires the packaging or something to be intact when you purchase it. So the eBay deals are gone.

17. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I got our Apple Care for rMBPS from B&H...best price I could find.

18. boombashi macrumors regular

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the tip on B&H. $105 cheaper!!! :)

And anyone that is concerned about ordering from B&H, they are one of the largest photography dealers in the country, and have a massive store front in NY. I have done business with them for many years, they are completely legit and very good.

19. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

20. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Learned something new about Apple Care the other day when looking at getting it on Amazon--Florida evidently has a law that prevents 3rd party sales of warranties.