Cheap b/w wireless printer?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by de93, Sep 1, 2010.

1. de93 macrumors newbie

I've recently purchased a MacBook Pro to use for college and general use. I would like to get a wireless printer to keep in the bedroom for papers, and still be able to grab the laptop and head out when needed, without messing with connections or cables. I've been browsing through Google searches, eBay, Amazon, etc., and I can't seem to find anything that's a simple, wireless black/white printer for a cheap price. I never print in color, photos, or need to scan or copy anything. I'm in college and need to pinch every penny I get, so I want to pay the bare minimum to get a black/white wireless printer without any frills. I can spend around 100 USD on a printer, but prefer to keep it around 50-60 if possible.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You probably won't get a wireless printer for under $100.

Try looking for a wireless print server that works with the Mac. The reason I mention this is that I got my older Airport Express (802.11g) at a thrift store for $25, and it has a USB port for hooking a printer to. With your $100 budget, that would leave you $75 for the printer.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I would suggest the HP DeskJet 6900 series printer. Very nice, quite, fast, cheap, great range. Sadly I don't see them or the would be next model on the HP site.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

The Brother HL-2170W monochrome laser printer can be had for about $90-$100 (B&H and Amazon have the best prices right now) and has ethernet and wireless connections (and I think even USB). It is the networked version of the HL-2140 and both are fantastic printers.

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Another vote for the Brother. We have one (not sure what model - not at home to check) and it works perfectly wirelessly and networked. Brother is really good about mac drivers as well. We paid about $78 for ours, if I recall.

6. ColinM macrumors member

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Personally, I would spend whatever you need to ensure that it's a laser and not an inkjet. You'll save more money in the long run. That Brother that others have mentioned looks like a good bet to me.

8. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I have had nothing but bad experiences with canon. Be very careful to avoid paper jams because once that happens it renders the printer useless. The printer gets in lockdown mode and you cannot do anything even if you clear the jam. All I can say is be careful!

I don't know what Brother's reputation is like. I just got this HP wireless b/w printer for $100 at staples. Nice and compact and 19ppm. I have been really looking for one that does automatic duplexing but oh well. I had an hp that lasted me forever, but I sold it when I moved. Seems like hp is a good company.

http://www.amazon.com/LaserJet-P110...=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1283695393&sr=8-1