Cheap bluetooth headset?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by kmt, Sep 20, 2009.

1. kmt macrumors newbie

Are there any cheap bluetooth headsets that work with the built in bluetooth support in the 2gen touch with 3.0?

This is for podcasts not music, so I'm not concerned about stereo or great fidelity. I'm mainly looking for light, inexpensive, and comfortable in the ear.

As a bonus it would be nice if it worked with skype.

2. jannembs macrumors newbie

Re:Cheap bluetooth headset

Hi Guys,
    I have purchased bluetooth headset from Bargaincell.Bargaincell has a wide range of bluetooth headset from different brands that are cost effective.

3. Yazza macrumors newbie

I've purchased my headset from monoprice.com. Price was excellent as always. Sound and quality ok for what I am using it for. I use it while working out or running for podcasts as well.

4. kmt thread starter macrumors newbie

Do any of these have a working microphone?

I suspect not. From what I can tell the touch only supports the 1 way AD2P bluetooth protocol.

If there really is no bluetooth microphone, I wonder if I could plug in one of the tiny "mushroom" mikes into the headphone jack and use the bluetooth headphone simultaneously for sound. I'm worried that plugging anything into the headphone jack would turn off the bluetooth sound.

5. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

The whole set up is pretty half arsed at the moment, there is no bluetooth mic support but you can still use a bluetooth headset for audio with a mini-mic plugged in, however you can't use them both at the same time so your bluetooth headset will cut out if you open the Voice Memo app to record, when using apps like Fring for voice calls you can hear with the bluetooth headset but the mini-mic does not work.

Although I enjoy the whole cordless thing with bluetooth not being able to skip through tracks with next\prev makes it more a novelty than a practical application of the technology as you are still tied to your device for basic controls.

Hopefully this will improve with updates but at the moment the best use of the current software features is achieved with a headphone\mic combo.

6. kmt thread starter macrumors newbie

7. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I have one, it's ok if you want to use a blutooth headset with your computer but it will not help you connect with your Touch and it will not connect your Touch to your computer.

You can get bluetooth dongles like THIS or THIS for iPods though that support A2DP and AVRCP for controls but I have not seen any that support mic use.