Cheap capture card that works for Mac.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 1337Nick, Jul 7, 2009.

1. 1337Nick macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I'm starting to film and edit my own videos from Rock Band. The only problem is that I'm using my Flip to just record the screen. The video turns out bright in certain areas of the screen. I'm looking for a fairly CHEAP capture card that works for a Mac. I have a Macbook right now. It's about 3-4 years old.

Price wise, I would say under $50. I'm just looking for something that can record from the Xbox 360 to my computer.

Thank you.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any Mac compatible USB video capture devices available for under $100.

The Pinnacle Video Capture for Mac and Elgato Video Capture are both priced at $100. They capture in H.264, so you would have to transcode the video in your NLE (iMovie/FCE/FCP/etc.) in order to edit it.

Both models support SD over s-video or composite. If you need HD capture, that gets more expensive.

3. 1337Nick thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've been looking and can't find any -_-
    I'll just have to save up for the Pinnacle. Thank you! :cool:

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You could find a used miniDV camcorder to use as a DV capture device. Just make sure it has AtoD conversion capabilities.

Also, if the XBox360 is able to output anamorphic 480i footage, some camcorders can pass-through that flag so that the Mac imports and unsquishes the footage for 16:9 presentation.

I do this from time to time with my Sony DVR which can output anamorphic widescreen at 480i. I use my Canon Elura 100 camcorder set on Widescreen. The footage imports directly into iMovie at 16:9. The only thing is that I have to use Composite connections and a lot of the color fidelity gets lost and the video is a little washed out.

ft

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have the egato video capture and i love it. however many people buy it just to convert some old VHS family videos and then they have no use for it.

check ebay and you might find it for cheap soon.

6. 1337Nick thread starter macrumors newbie

I was checking on the apple website and one reviewer said he uses it to make Machinama and it's perfect. Same basic concept as what I'll be using it for: just to record gameplay. I'll probably stick with the Elgato. I just need to do a lot of chores over the next couple weeks >.>

7. 1337Nick thread starter macrumors newbie

Just made $10 washing my dads car and then I found $11 I had been saving for something else. $21 down, $89 to go :D

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

That's the best way. Put an ad in Craigslist "Want to buy broken Mini DV Camera" Find one with a smashed lens or jammed up tape transort and offer $10 or $15. The quality of the video conversion is usually first rate.