Cheap chargers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mbpowner, Oct 8, 2017.

1. mbpowner macrumors regular

Bought 5 chargers for £10 on Amazon. Btw these arent apple chargers, these are generic usb-c chargers.

I mention just charger cables, no wall plug.

Is it safe to use these cables even if not good quality by connecting to usb port in the wall socket ? Not sure how this would work

2. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

For a MacBook Pro? I'd be cautious. There's a lot of current passing through the stock charger cable, you REALLY need to be sure the cable you bought can support that current. Not all are built the same, the amount of current the cable can support is related to the gauge of the wire inside. I have quality Anker USB-C cables for charging my phone but I would NOT trust them to charge a MBP, the cable is significantly smaller than the one that comes with the new MBP.

3. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

I meant charging with a BAD QUALITY/CHEAP CHARGER CABLE from a mbp / usb port in a socket to charge a device...

Bcuz i hear fake chargers are dangerous , usually using wall plugs though... but you can plug them into a mbp instead of a wall socket and everything will be fine ?

4. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

This is all about minimizing risks vs saving a little. Teardowns of some of these third-party accessories have previously shown downright dangerous cost-cutting shortcuts that could lead to electric shock or short circuits, potentially causing melt-downs or fires, and unless every such accessory you plan to use is inspected internally by a competent repair person or an electrical engineer, are you willing to gamble your safety and sanity for mere dollars?

And if you think this is scaremongering and highly exaggerated, ask yourself how much that £2 charger, after deducting labor, and the various shipping costs and profit levels, actually cost to produce, and what kind of thoroughly tested and approved quality components could have been used to assemble it.

Personally, I don't need five chargers, and I'll gladly buy one or two correctly sized extras from Apple, in addition to the one that's included with virtually all products.

5. Tech198 macrumors G5

anything cheap can be potently an issue.. I would stick with Apple usually as you don't know what will happen, wth cheap ones..

Saying it should work is a hit and miss..... You don't wanna get cheap cable rated for the same, and then you find it doesn't work as advertised.. I think that that should probably be the worst case......

My parents used a dock from third party to charge iPhone 5c, The worst case for that was just a "not charging", but it did nothing to the actual phone or battery itself..

As long as the Amp/voltage meet it should be ok.... but that's up to you.

6. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

I meant, charging from a usb port. So only 5v 0.5a to begin with , full socjet voltage not involved