Cheap data only options for unlocked 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cacophony555, Sep 27, 2010.

1. cacophony555 macrumors member

Hi,

I rarely use a cellphone, so haven't been able justify spending $70/month on an iPhone. Currently I just use an AT&T "pay as you go" (prepaid) GoPhone, which costs me $25 every 3 months (to add minutes). But I love the iPhone and really value internet connectivity everywhere so I've always lusted after the idea of the data only iPhone plan.

My girlfriend has a 3GS (with iOS 4.0) and can upgrade to the iPhone 4 for only the cost of the phone ($199-$299) + $18 upgrade fee. I'm assuming if she does this she'll be able to keep her old 3GS.

Can I just put my sim card in her old 3GS and use it as my prepaid phone? (the sim card does say 3G on it if it matters). Do I have to jailbreak or unlock it for this to work?

Also, is there any way to get a working data plan as well? In my Go Phone account I see an option for "Data 100MB" for $20. Is this the best option for me? I would gladly pay $20-$30/month for a decent data plan. 100MB seems a bit small, though...

What exactly are my options here?

Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes that and a smaller data package are the only options for prepaid AT&T sims.
    You can also try getting a microsim for an iPad 3G with data only and use an adapter to use the sim in the 3GS for a data only plan.

3. cacophony555 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. What if I go with T-Mobile? I see they list a webconnect plan for $25 (200 MB). They also list a SmartPhone unlimited web and email for $40/month. Are those both options as well if I get a T-Mobile sim and do a jailbreak?

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You are aware you can get a data plan for the gophone sim for $19 a month for 100 MB? While tmobile has many data plans keep in mind they may not include any minutes and may even require you purchase a voice plan.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'm not positive on the prepaid Tmobile plans but you will only get edge data. No 3G speeds on Tmobile USA.

6. cacophony555 thread starter macrumors member

Anything special I need to do to make this data option from AT&T work? Or do I just need to purchase it?

7. atrac7 macrumors regular

But would this mean you would have no voice plan then? I was thinking about this before, getting the data from the ipad micro sim.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, pretty much.
    It would be like an iPod touch with data even away from wifi.

9. cacophony555 thread starter macrumors member

That would be great, but where can one get an ipad microsim? I looked on ebay and didn't see anything obvious. Also, any way ATT would be able to tell and disable?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think u can get one at AT&T. Tell them to set it up and that you left your iPad home.
    You might have to edit the apn
    Settings on the iPhone for the iPad data package.
    I heard many people using it like so I doubt they will disable it.

11. cacophony555 thread starter macrumors member

Going to the Apple store shortly to get girlfriend's phone upgraded to iphone 4 ... anything special I need to tell them regarding the old phone? (I want to ensure it's in the right "state" if that matters)

Also, can I (or should I) do a restore of the phone to the factory settings prior to putting my sim card in ? Obviously I want to get rid of all her data and settings, but I also don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks.

12. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

In my case to get it to work I had to use the apple iphone configuration utility program to generate a config file which I installed to the iphone over usb. The 3g would not connect otherwise. I'm sure att does this to get you into a contract when using the iphone specifically.

I do not know if you can purchase data as a stand alone item.

I also use T-mobile both prepaid and postpaid. I have always been told that you can not have a data plan on prepaid (they claim they can't figure out how to bill you).

13. Kayan macrumors 6502

14. cacophony555 thread starter macrumors member

Everything went flawlessly. Thanks for the help everyone!