cheap desk to fit such a large imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by positively4st, Oct 24, 2009.

1. positively4st macrumors newbie

I'm going to be purchasing either a 21.5 or 27 inch imac sometime in the next week, which means I need to find a desk large enough to hold it. I know the 27 inch especially is gigantic and thus I'll need a desk with a lot of depth, but I'm having problems finding one for a reasonable price.

I guess I'm wondering if you have any suggestions as to where I look (something around ikea prices, sadly :/), where you got your desk, what dimensions I must have, etc.

Also, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put this and/or if there's a better place. I am new to the mac world and this forum, which I find so helpful.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

you won't need a lot of depth unless you want to keep the screen far away from you. The iMac is very thin depthwise. I'd say you would need something around 24" deep by 60" wide.

Ikea is the place to get that sort of thing.

3. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

You can look at my post from about 1 week ago, I am looking for one and I have two in mind, at Ikea two. I like glass desks but this iMac is becoming heavier and heavier it's kind of scary in case of breakage... :rolleyes:

4. alywa macrumors 6502

The new iMac is obviously large, and pretty heavy. Very stylish. No ratty desk will do... nope you're going to have to get a nice new one.

Of course, then your room will look shabby... you'll need to paint and add new lighting. The other furniture will look out of place too, so I'd suggest getting a new suite for the room the computer is going in.

Of course, that will make the rest of your place look tacky... you'll probably just want to go ahead and get a new flat or house, just to be sure.

/I have nothing of value to add
    //enjoy your new 27" iMac... I can't wait to go see them in person

5. DDave macrumors regular

Ikea has many nice desks, why wouldn't you get one of those

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

For years, I've used run-of-the-mill "conference tables" that you can buy at office supply stores, etc. These generally are available in two sizes, 30"x72" and 30"x60", both with folding legs.

I've found that nothing works as well as having a large, flat space to lay things out onto.

One of these should work fine with the big iMac, and they're definitely not expensive, either, if you shop around.

- John

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've gone through a number of desks and finally bought a table top and legs from Ikea until I settled on a desk I would love and keep for years. Turns out, I've kept this setup longer than any other desk. I'm going on 3 years now I believe.

VIKA AMON Table Top Prices range from $19.99 to $29.99 and come in various colors.
    The legs VIKA CURRY also come in other colors and are $4.00 USD per leg.

Together you can get a very large desk for less than $50.00.

8. positively4st thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a great idea. I think I'm going to do this. I'm heading to ikea tonight to look around.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I appreciate it!

9. Gatteau macrumors 6502a