Cheap(er) flash for Canon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rusty2192, Dec 9, 2010.

1. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Ok, I think i may break down and get a flash unit for my Rebel XT. It would be used for general around the house shots of people and pets and other little things like that. Nothing too fancy. I know that the Canon Speedlight 430EX II is the go-to unit for basic use, but at $250-$300 its kind of expensive. That's money that could be put towards new glass. So my question is, what about cheaper third party units. Are there any decent ones, or should i just spend the extra cash and go with the Canon?

I was browsing through Amazon.com and saw this Vivitar DF383 . Its only $130 new, half that of the Canon. I understand that it can't be controlled stright from the camera menu, but that wouldn't be a big deal for me (if that is even possible at alll with my old XT). Does anyone have any experience with this flash, or any other ones for that matter?

2. toxic macrumors 68000

you can get used 430EX's for less than $200...

Sigma EF-500 DG Supers used to go for around $100-$150, depending on the model, not sure about now. otherwise there's the cheap Yongnuo flashes off ebay, which work fine, just don't expect much power.

I'm assuming you'd prefer to keep ETTL.

3. rusty2192 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input. I was checking out the Photography-on-the-net forums and it seems that the Yongnuos are fairly popular for their bargain basement prices and decent performance, at the expense of some build quality. I'm thinking now that I may go with the YN-468 that supports the full E-TTL and everything else.

4. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Also Check at the Canon website for refurbished flashes. Canon usually has a few refurbished ones, which in turn have the Canon warranty.

Look at page 3:
    http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_22751#

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

It really depends on whether you want to work mostly manual or mostly automatic. If you don't need eTTL (or whatever the souped-up ttl mode for Canons is called) and you're fine adjusting the flash manually, Vivitar flashes are a good bang for the buck. But other than that, they're not that much cheaper than a used/refurbished original manufacturer flash (in my case €120~150 vs. €170). YMMV.

I'd probably look into getting a used/refurbished Canon flash.

6. rusty2192 thread starter macrumors 6502a

got the 430EX II

Just thought i'd update. My local camera shop was having Canon Day today with Canon reps on site. I stopped by just for the heck of it. After talking with them about everything from bodies, to lenses, to flashes, I ended up walking out with a new 430EX II. I decided to just go ahead and spend the money now and have something that I know will work great and last me for years. I've been trying it out and will hopefully get some good shots to post in the various forums on here. Thanks to everyone who replied.