Cheap Fedex Laptop Sleeve

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glueeater, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Glueeater macrumors regular

So I was searching around online on a DIY laptop sleeve. Why? Because I'm frugal like that.

HOWEVER, everything I came across had to deal with sewing. Being a guy, I have no idea how to stitch or sew things (oh man gender roles). I could have easily asked a female friend or my mother to help but where's the fun in that?

I went to Fedex and grabbed a "Padded Pak" and "Large Pak." Using some awesome folding skills and a lot of packing tape, I produced this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, this was my first attempt and the fit is REALLY snug as i folded too much. The idea is pretty basic if you get your hands on the material, but I think I'll write a short tutorial on it later this week when I can grab more packages. The bubble wrap inside of the padded pak sliding against the macbook is an INSANE amount of friction, hence the lining with the large pak. For those who don't know, large paks are thing pieces of "Tyvek" (I believe) and the padded paks are just large paks with bubble wrap. You could probably take my idea and just layer some large paks, but I like the bubbly protection.

If I'm not supposed to post stuff like this feel free to delete! Thanks for reading.

Why I did this:

-Basically free (tape, scissors, envelopes).
    -Not time consuming (took 15 minutes for initial and 5 more for the lining).
    -The material is tear resistant AND water proof.
    -Camouflaged! No one will ever know I have a macbook.

2. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Nice. I like that...other popular choices for the outside cover might be corrugated cardboard. Gives a bit of protection.

You have any friction problems with sliding the laptop in and out?

3. optimus prime macrumors regular

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The FedEx furniture guy would be proud. :D Only one problem with your post is there are some stellar males out there that can indeed sew. Coughmarcjacobscough.

5. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i can sew, seriously but i saved myself the trouble (not that i thought about making my own sleeve :rolleyes:) and bought a brenthaven laptop bag :)

6. Glueeater thread starter macrumors regular

Buying things!? psh! I didn't use felt lining only because I wanted to make it purely Fedex material. Thanks for reading!

7. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I use a small pillowcase for my BlackBook! :D

Still, your FedEx sleeve will offer better shock protection than just a pillowcase. Cheers!

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

you should print up a return label and stick it on there. that way if it ever gets lost, maybe a friendly person will drop it off in the mailbox for you :)

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like a fun way to spend 15 minutes with tape... Thanks for the fun idea.

A company is making for MacBook Air that looks like an envelope but it's padded with laptop sleeve material.

10. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Wow, man! That borders on an OC tendency to not spend money. Given the target buyer for the MacBook Air, you are the antithesis and balance has returned to the universe. Mother Nature has a knack of doing that, you gotta love her. :D