cheap/free alternatives to mywi

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by neilp4453, Aug 2, 2010.

1. neilp4453 macrumors regular

Tried the cracked version...causes me to go to safe mode so I assume it doesn't work with a 3GS and the Comex method.

But I rarely tether. I just like to have it ready to go on my phone for circumstances where I need to tether.

Any other apps?

2. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

How about try and buy it instead of steal it?

3. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Dude...seriously? It's $10 not $100. How about supporting these developers so they can keep putting out these awesome apps. Quit being such a leech.

4. neilp4453 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that. If not any alternatives, I will buy MyWi. But for something that I would use maybe once or twice a year....is $10 really worth it? The answer is no.

Plus, with the new one out..that costs me 20bucks. The app will essentially sit on my phone unused for long periods of time.

5. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Just go get PDAnet.

But I am curious, if you're only going to to use it maybe once or twice a year and $10 isn't worth it, why do you even bother? There's also no sense in telling us you downloaded a cracked version. Were just gonna get mad at you for giving jailbreaking a bad name.

6. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Then don't buy it and deal with not having it. Theft is theft, even if you only occasionally do it.

7. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Aside from the theft of this product which is pretty douchy I will tell you that MyWI has not caused me to go into safe mode one time in the 4 months I've owned it. I've used it on a 3GS and now using it on my IP4 with no issues. Ever think that the cracked version or the crack itself might be causing the instability? You can trial it on Rock if you aren't convinced which I don't know why you wouldn't do in the first place. $20 one time is a worthwhile price to pay to be able to tether as many devices as you want.

8. gaspony macrumors newbie

Yah if you are only going to use it 2 times a year, then just download it twice for the trial. Don't be a douchey McDoucherton

9. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

Well, first off, to the OP yes, you should buy it, you are already getting so much from this devs, that you should give something back... But since I know you are set on getting something else, maybe you can find the Handy Light app, (the one that is not offered at the store no more) And OP, don't even ask where to look for it... That would be up to you...

10. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Wait, you tell him to buy rather than steal, then encourage him to find a different app that he'd have to crack? ...

11. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

One of the reasons good apps keep going up in price is because of all the pirating going on.

12. navigates macrumors 6502a

Its $20. Not $10. I'd like to buy it but 20 is steep. Does any one know of any discount codes for it?

13. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

yeah some of you guys are so dumb. He has no reason to spend $20 on mywi when he may never use it. I am in the same situation as him. I would like tethering but not for $20 since I will very rarely use it, but in my line of work it could come REALLY handy once or twice a year if needed. I found PDAnet. Use that OP. Its free and gets the job done. It may not be as easy and simple as mywi but for being free its great!

14. MT0227 macrumors 6502

This is one app that is totally worth its cost, by far. It will be the best $20 you've ever spent.....your cost is covered in one month.

15. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

He is using a phone that cost several hundred dollars. AT&T charges a monthly fee for tethering. For the price of one month of tethering you can own the app, I personally don't see how that is so expensive.

16. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

It's so sad that you have to steal this amazing application. Maybe one day things will look better and you'll have $20.

17. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

People don't understand this simple math, that buying the application once equals the cost of one month of tethering through ATT. Just don't even bother.

18. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

If I understand right, since I only wanna use a Ferrari 2-3 times a year to show off, I could go steal one and park it in my garage when unused? Why should I pay 90k when I only want to ride it 1-2 times a year? What a bunch of douchass car salesman.

19. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Pay ATT for 1 month of tethering or tether for life, for free, for one fee.

All of you people getting cracked PDA Net and Handy Lght are also stealing. Its 20$, if you have an iPhone im pretty sure you can manage it. If not, dont tether.
    Ps, some cracked stuff has nasty stuff in it that can slow andd mess up your phone. Just pay for it, its really not that difficult.

20. Sourskinmilk222 macrumors newbie

theft?

I'm a little hesitant about getting mywi because isnt that theft from ATT? If they find out can they fine you or something? idk how they would find out i just read on one of the stickies on the iphone hacks forum here that it would be.

21. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I don't think they would fine you. The worst that would happen is that you would have to pay for the tethering for that month. IMO unless you decide to rack up 20gb of data or something crazy you should be alright. I used it all the time on my 3G and never had a problem. People with the 2GB plan or smaller might want to watch their data usage though.

22. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I downloaded the trial of MyWi 4.0 today and within two hours, I made up my mind to buy it for my iPhone 4.

Why? One of the biggest reasons is that this amazing app has not drained my battery at all in three hours of using it. I was using it connected to the USB port for tethering that way.

The old version on my 3GS would start to drain my battery within an hour even while plugged in.

I'm thinking of canceling my Sprint broadband card now.

23. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Pretty sure PDANet is not free. It's a 14-day trial, after which a license costs $29.

25. hlkc macrumors regular

Can some one give me some ideas what the USB Tethering is? I've been trying the MyWi Wifi Tethering and so far so good. Thanks!