Cheap, Good HD Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by theapplefreak, Jan 18, 2009.

1. theapplefreak macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'm looking for a very good HD Camcorder thats very cheap, about the same price as the Flip MinoHD.
    I'm trying to look for a camcorder other than the MinoHD thats a very good HD camcorder.
    I was looking at the Webbie HD Camcorder by Sony, but after watching the quality in HD on youtube, it doesn't seem to be that good. Plus I believe it was too cheap for a "full HD" camcorder as they called it.
    So if there are any good cheap, and full hd camcorder out there, please reply to this thread.
    Thanks .:)

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The Flip MinoHD is about the best you're going to get for around $200. It uses an H.264 compression codec (9 Mbps average, I believe), which isn't exactly the best format to be editing on if that's what you plan to do.

The Flip isn't a "full HD" camcorder, BTW (and neither are any of the products similar to it). It uses a 1280x720 CMOS sensor. The best "budget" handheld camcorder that actually will do full raster HD is the Canon HV20/30, but that's almost three times the money. You get what you pay for.