Cheap Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TSE, Mar 5, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hi everyone, a dilemma I hope someone can help me with!

My PC running XP Professional SP2, which has the following specs:

P3 700MHZ, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, and Radeon 9200 64 MBs is having troubles. The graphics card is whining a really loud noise, and is getting really hot. To end this, I hope to get a brand new Graphics Card.

I don't want anything fancy, I just want something brand new, with 64 MBs + of VRAM, something that runs on XP, supports DX 9, and atleast matches or betters the performance then the 9200. I generally like ATIs better, but nVidia would be fine too. I want it to be under 50$! Known online dealers only please! Newegg, Tigerdirect... etc.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Before you replace...

Does your graphics card have a fan?
    If so, the combination of heat and whining from the GPU suggests to me that the fan is either completely shot, or it's having trouble cause it's old and dirty.
    When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your case, including all fans and heatsink(s)?
    Have you tried oiling the bearings of the GPU fan?
    Does the location of your system permit good airflow?

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes. The system permits good airflow, and I have tried to clean the fan. I have had this computer for 15 years, and upgraded it almost completely 9 years ago, and has been extremely good until this. It is custom built, all by me.

I tried blowing it (the fan) with compressed air and I don't want to try anything else not worth the hassle, just want a new one.

4. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030