Cheap iMac??????

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cyborg21, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

I was going to buy an iMac. Than I heard Apple will relase a Cheap iMac! That will make iMacs less premium, also more Mac users = More viruses for Macs! What is Apple thinking? Why they just update Mac mini? Macs were exclusive and premium so is iPhones and iPads, then they made iPad mini and iPhone 5C. Why Tim Cook trying to make Apple a non-premium and non-special brand! Why are they doing the opposite thing that Steve Jobs said? Plastic Macs are unacceptable :mad: . Sorry for my bad english it's not my native language

2. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

Who's said they are releasing a cheap iMac????

I haven't read anything about it. Why would they when the sell well anyway?

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Sometimes threads start, and then die a quick and painful death. This is one of them.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It makes no difference what other products Apple chooses to release. Just buy the product(s) that suits your needs and forget about what others buy, as it has no effect on your experience.
    Having more Mac users does not increase the number of malware threats. There are already 50-75 million Mac users and there are exactly zero OS X viruses in the wild. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

5. jordanm86 macrumors regular

There was an article on this site about it last week.

It's possible that they are considering it to gain more market share (like they did with the iPhone 5c) but then again, considering how badly the 5c sold compared to Apple's expectations, perhaps it will be put on hold (if they were even considering it).

I personally still consider Apple's computer division as large as it is, a niche... it's really not for everyone. Yes, I do find it easier to use than windows but most people see the cost as a big issue.

I believe that those who buy Macs understand that quality comes at a cost and are happy to buy a Mac that will last 4-5 years with little maintenance rather than a Windows machine that is bogged down and slow after a year.

In more recent years, the iPhone has led to a bunch of new generation mac users who literally buy it because they used the phone and want a mac to match. My brother in law is one of these. He has a 21 inch 2010 iMac which he bought when released and has used it probably less than 30 times and asks the most simple questions that a 20 sec google search would resolve.

It is silly for Apple to target the mass market of people who 'like pretty things'. These are the people who overload the genius bar/one to one help with questions like "how do I read my email..." rather than "since 10.8.5 my time machine has gone super slow... i've wiped it and it still won't work properly".

It is more expensive to constantly pander to the needs of people who quite frankly only need to learn how to do one thing... how to perform a google search (which is probably why the paid for one to one service has came about).