Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
I'm going to architecture school next year, and I have an iPad. I would like to be able to use my iPad to take notes instead of hauling around my Macbook Pro. I do like Apple's wireless keyboard, but it's $69, and since I've already spent ~$675 for iPad related items and I bought a few other things this summer, I'm trying to save money. So, whats a good CHEAP keyboard for iPad?

Thanks!

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I'm going to architecture school next year, and I have an iPad. I would like to be able to use my iPad to take notes instead of hauling around my Macbook Pro. I do like Apple's wireless keyboard, but it's $69, and since I've already spent ~$675 for iPad related items and I bought a few other things this summer, I'm trying to save money. So, whats a good CHEAP keyboard for iPad?

Thanks!

You can get student discount on the keyboard if thats any consolation, anyways, tbh it depends what type of keyboard you like, the apple wireless keyboard is very nice, the keys are chiclet style, and the keyboard isn't too hard to carry round. Just make sure you can have a quick go on the keyboard before you buy, as some keyboards can be clunky.

I'd just go for the apple one, the function keys on it also work as well.

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Just for kicks and giggles, what are some other Bluetooth keyboards for iPad?

Have a look at some logitech ones, although tbh, their keyboard keys themselves are not very nice compared to the chiclet laptop style ones of the apple keyboard, plus their quite large.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Off the top of my head, there is a foldable keyboard w/ numberpad from Matias. A full size from Macally, and I think a rubber or silicone type that rolls up.

Just search for bluetooth keyboard on amazon.com Came up with some of those results when I was also searching for a Bluetooth keyboard and settled on Apple's.

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Update: I just bought the the Apple wireless keyboard. You really can't beat it...

Make sure its the newer model, the chiclet small wireless bluetooth keyboard got a update, the easiest way to tell if its the new model is check the amount of batteries it takes.

The old, less power efficient model took 3 AA's, whilst the new updated model only takes 2 AA's.

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Make sure its the newer model, the chiclet small wireless bluetooth keyboard got a update, the easiest way to tell if its the new model is check the amount of batteries it takes.

The old, less power efficient model took 3 AA's, whilst the new updated model only takes 2 AA's.

O really? Does it matter that much though? I bought it from someone from Amazon, and it's new. The product description says 2 batteries, but it's very possible the seller was confused...

surferchick2

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Fidalgo Island, WA
You won't regret it. I decided on the Apple one also. I had noticed some sellers who had it cheaper (like 55.00), but maybe it was the older one. I didn't know about that. I use it at home now, but plan on getting a case for it to use while traveling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.