Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ketsjap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Thanks to a tax-friendly incentive plan (thank you, Belgian tax system) my employer lets me buy tech-products at huge discounts. But I'm torn.

An iPad Pro 11" M1 with Magic Keyboard: 430$ (128 gb), 447$ (256 gb) or 517$ (512 gb)

OR

A Macbook Air M1: 410$ (256 gb) or 443$ (512 gb)

(i converted prices from Euro to US Dollar)

What would the most logical choice be? I love the casual-feel of an iPad, and with a Magic Keyboard it might suffice as a laptop replacement (for my needs). But 400 bucks for a full fledged Macbook Air is not too bad either.

Please help! :)

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
ipad with magic keyboard is the better deal if you don’t need desktop apps. ive had a macbook and i now use an ipad with the magic keyboard. it’s way better

Ketsjap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
ipad with magic keyboard is the better deal if you don’t need desktop apps. ive had a macbook and i now use an ipad with the magic keyboard. it’s way better
In what way is it better?

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
In what way is it better?
more versatile. being able to pop it off the keyboard and use it as a tablet. i have the 12.9 inch so it has mini LED so the screen is better than the macbook air. gaming, center stage, etc.

Reactions: Ketsjap

Ketsjap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
The tools needed depend on the use case. What’s yours?
Pretty basic stuff. Browsing, messaging, streaming. Some light office work, Word etc. Managing photo library. And accessing my work-apps trough Citrix virtual desktop.

Reactions: ericwn

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I've done both and I'd go with the MBA for the keyboard, file system, function keys, charging ports, etc. I did not like the material of the MK either. I just traded an M1 Mini to go back to the M1 MBA. I also have an iPad Air 4 with a Combo Touch case, which isn't getting much use. I don't have a lot of complaints about iPadOS, but I can do more and do it more easily with macOS.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Pretty basic stuff. Browsing, messaging, streaming. Some light office work, Word etc. Managing photo library. And accessing my work-apps trough Citrix virtual desktop.

I would likely prefer the MBA for the virtual desktop work and for all the reasons @WildSky has laid out.

Maybe get an iPad mini at some stage for the “chilling on the couch “ stuff.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
I've done both and I'd go with the MBA for the keyboard, file system, function keys, charging ports, etc. I did not like the material of the MK either. I just traded an M1 Mini for to go back to the M1 MBA. I also have an iPad Air 4 with a Combo Touch case, which isn't getting much use. I don't have a lot of complaints about iPadOS, but I can do more and do it more easily with macOS.

This is how I feel. For me it's not a lack of desktop apps, it's just the fact that even basic tasks are easier on a proper OS. Multitasking is always going to be much better and typing is sturdier in odd places like on your lap on the couch or bed. There are no function keys on the magic keyboard either.

Sometimes I appreciate the full screen view of apps but other times it's annoying and I'd rather have more information handy and be able to switch quicker.

That said, I do own both a 13" MBA and 12.9" iPad. The iPad doesn't get much use even with its technically much better screen.

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Citrix? That one leads you straight to the MacBook Air. Better at almost every aspect when it's running on macOS rather than iPadOS.
512GB for the peace of mind about filling up your storage.

Reactions: JPack

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
I have both but gravitate towards the iPad all the time. One thing I’ve noticed is that after using the 120hz screen on the iPad the MBA feels very dated.

Reactions: capathy21

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
iPad is for situations where you need to interface directly with screen or need to use the rear camera. For the work you've described, MBA is strongly recommended.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
I have both but gravitate towards the iPad all the time. One thing I’ve noticed is that after using the 120hz screen on the iPad the MBA feels very dated.
Is your iPP 11 in or 12.9 in? They're both 120hz (pro-motion). Even though I just bought a MBA, I think the 11 in iPP wouldn't make it look dated because I'm one of those people who don't see a difference between iPhone 13 & 13 pro.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Is your iPP 11 in or 12.9 in? They're both 120hz (pro-motion). Even though I just bought a MBA, I think the 11 in iPP wouldn't make it look dated because I'm one of those people who don't see a difference between iPhone 13 & 13 pro.

12.9 M1. The difference to me between 120hz and no 120hz is very noticeable.

Not saying MBA is bad, because it’s a very capable machine and I like mine. But there is a distinct difference in screen quality between MBA and IPP.

Reactions: capathy21

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I also use Citrix while still working remotely to access my work desktop—Citrix Workspace, and I would advise the MBA. Trying to navigate in Citrix with just the iPad/MK, I found too frustrating since the trackpad on the MK for the 3rd gen 11” was too small re drop and drag among other functions. If you add on the Apple Pencil and the Magic Mouse/Trackpad, you are better off just getting the MBA.

I wound up trading in my M1 MBA/Mac Mini for the new MBP, but the MBA was amazing. Additionally, the MBA’s footprint isn’t too different from the 11” iPad Pro but will give you more functionality while also allowing for content only use.

Reactions: ericwn

Chaparral02

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2021
Thanks to a tax-friendly incentive plan (thank you, Belgian tax system) my employer lets me buy tech-products at huge discounts. But I'm torn.

An iPad Pro 11" M1 with Magic Keyboard: 430$ (128 gb), 447$ (256 gb) or 517$ (512 gb)

OR

A Macbook Air M1: 410$ (256 gb) or 443$ (512 gb)

Please help! :)
At them really cheap prices i would just buy the ipad & the macbook air ?

Reactions: Biro and Ketsjap
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.