CHEAP iPod Touch from ebay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BlakTornado, Jul 12, 2008.

1. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

On ebay, there are numerous amounts of VERY cheap iPod Touches (£50!).

Are these likely to be genuine? I mean, they look it... but the price seems to make me think they aren't (There are 8GB Touches listed at £30!)

I don't get much money as it is, but I'm losing the will to wait for a Touch-based iDevice and I don't want to spend £200 on a brand new iPod Touch when they're so severely lacking compared to even 1st gen iPhones... And when I have more important things to be saving for.

So is it worth a shot? Anyone had any experiences buying cheap iPod Touches on ebay?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

People are selling their Education Discount iPod touches to get money.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Without any links, pretty hard to make a comment... but there is a lot of counterfeit iPod hardware out there.

If it were students cashing in on the back to school promo, then you'd expect the prices to be higher.

4. BlakTornado thread starter Guest

BlakTornado

Sorry about that. I forgot... and I guess I'm also wary that someone else will come along and "steal" the iPod Touch I am looking at. >.> :p

But, say, this one for example. £30 for a £200 gadget.

A lot of them say "I am selling because I am buying an iPhone", or because they have a bigger version.

The sellers have quite good feedback though... but that doesn't necessarily mean they're selling a genuine product with no defects or anything...

It's mainly the price that's making me wary. Like the one I listed above, where it's currently being sold for £30. (I know it's early on in the bidding, but these people are obviously anticipating getting less than what they paid)

That's mainly why I'm asking if anyone's had any encounters with buying a low price iPod Touch on ebay... Just because experiences beat the feedback system, and so on. Sorry if I'm being over-cautious. I'm just very wary of ebay, as a LOT of scams take place on it.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Gotcha -- we'll just hope the 55 million other eBay users don't search for it ... ;)

But the thing is -- experience with one product from one seller has little bearing on a different seller's auction.

Look for positive feedback, of course, also look for a seller who has taken their own picture of the product (rather than using a stock photo). Only deal with sellers who take PayPal AND where the auction indicates it is eligible for PayPal buyer protection. Insist on shipping with insurance and signature on delivery.

Beyond that - it's practically impossible to predict whether you will get a good unit or a bad one. It's all down to the seller.

Take a screenshot / print a PDF of the auction when you bid, so you can prove later that it was eligible for buyer protection, and so that the seller doesn't alter the terms.

6. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

they'll never stay at that price.

the going rate for 8GB touches (last week when i checked) was
    ~225-260 ($), so about 110-130 (right?). They might not hit that high, but who knows. one that you linked to had 5 days left.

7. BlakTornado thread starter Guest

BlakTornado

While I would agree with you there, I've found an iPod Touch for well under £50 with less than a day left. (hence why I was reluctant to post a link)

Bet it'll rocket up tomorrow though :rolleyes:

8. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

9. amusiccale macrumors 6502

They usually shoot up a little higher near the end--searching the completed listings yields a little higher average price. The dropping 'market' value on ebay suggests a future price drop, though.