Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
I bought a cheap $100 "gift card" out of curiosity. It's not a gift card but an account. The account didn't even have a $100 credit on it like I thought it would. Instead, it had a credit card on file with the name, address and phone number of some random person from Virginia. I contacted the seller and they said I could still charge $100 worth of items from the store. This is complete fraud. They steal credit card information, or accounts and then sell them. Some random person will then be left with the bill - wow. Promptly filed a dispute with Paypal.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Goldinboy17 said:
I bought a cheap $100 "gift card" out of curiosity. It's not a gift card but an account. The account didn't even have a $100 credit on it like I thought it would. Instead, it had a credit card on file with the name, address and phone number of some random person from Virginia. I contacted the seller and they said I could still charge $100 worth of items from the store. This is complete fraud. They steal credit card information, or accounts and then sell them. Some random person will then be left with the bill - wow. Promptly filed a dispute with Paypal.

I'd also contact the person who's credit card they have, followed by the police

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Wow, stolen credit cards.

"the new account would be sent out if the former one was frozen"

They are simply entering stolen credit card info into iTunes accounts. When an account is locked they just use another stolen card.

I wonder how they limit they amount you can buy on this card? I'll bet they don't. And why would they care anyway.....

I would contact the credit card owner and send all info to the FBI. Amazing. :mad:

Last edited:

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Scam. Anything that seems to good to be true... Is indeed to good to be true.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada

That's so brutal that someone would actually do that. :(

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Not only is it a scam, but even if you didn't care and were that immoral, what good would it do you? Those itunes/apps/books/movies would be locked to that account and even if the account didn't get frozen you'd have to use them on seperate devices other than your current itunes stuff collection (different ipods, different computers, different iphones).

nonameowns

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
honestly pay dollar to dollar for gift cards ok? prices that are lower than the gift card value significantly obviously is a scam

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA

Definitely follow up on that and call the credit card holder and the police. That is truly a terrible thing to do.

Last edited:

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Looks totally like they're selling stolen iTunes accounts. What they do is hack an iTunes account to get the username and password (this could be via malware installed on a PC, phishing, or whatever), and then sell it to you. You can buy whatever you want using somebody else's account and credit card, until somebody notices and it gets shut down.

There's 2 things you need to consider:

1. There will be records, showing it was your computer connecting to the iTunes servers with a stolen account. Expect a visit from the police some time later.

2. That could be your account that they're selling, and your credit card that's about to be hit.

I'd seriously recommend reporting this sale to both the police and the site, hopefully they'll get caught (although they're likely in china, in which case they'll at least get banned).

You CAN get discounted gift cards legally though, as others have said. I bought a few recently at 30% discount. It was a legitimate offer at a local supermarket, which is trustable, and the discount was not unbelievable.

anng12

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
These are not gift card codes.

These are stolen accounts with stolen credit cards

The only legitimate FREE iTunes Gift Cards site is the one by PandaX (in my sig)

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

The only legitimate FREE iTunes Gift Cards site is the one by PandaX (in my sig)

Free iTunes Gift Cards in an invisible sig!! Love it.... :eek:

chuntian

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011

Why there are so many people have bought it?:confused:

Antec

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Australia
Dude I used to b off there, they freaking give you accounts with hacked credit cards added in the accounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.