cheap laptop for kids xmas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redgaz26, Sep 27, 2008.

1. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

2. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I'd get them an old iBook G3 Clamshell. They're kid looking, have a carrying handle, and they're quite durable. Not to mention cheap($100 or less on craigslist - a little pricier on eBay.)

They're nice little machines, and work well for basic stuff. You can make out the ram to 512 and they run pretty good.

[​IMG]

Just an idea.

3. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Certainly not the elonex, IMO. They use MIPS processors which is incompatible with the x86 stuff inside most pcs and macs nowadays. I mean, they do work, but there's no way they're ever running windows and much more.

I'd look at the EEE 701, your other option, and if you want something fancier the acer aspire one. If you hold off and keep your eyes out you might find the EEE cheaper. For example - expansys were selling the white one (very briefly) at £117 yesterday (I ordered one, so you can see what I think). Offers on the 701 may come again as it's an outgoing model. If they don't, at £160 odd the £179 Acer seems better value (more space, bigger screen, keyboard, webcam, perhaps faster processor).

If you could find a NICE old G3 that would work, it will be slower, heavier and it's unlikely you'd find a working battery. Most of the ones I have seen on ebay have been dropkicked.

4. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'd love to get a second hand mac but it's for Xmas and Santa has to bring new stuff!!!!
    You say they had it for £117 yesterday? How does it work? Do you just keep checking the site for special offers?

5. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

The iBook G3 White is a nice little runner. As far as I know, most are newer than the clamshells and are therefore just a little more expensive. On the positive side, even modest spec iBook can run Tiger cleanly. They're ultra-durable too. Mine survived many three foot drops over its course of use and last I checked it still works today.

If it must be new though, the EEE would be the best option available in my opinion.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I would just bite the bullet and buy the Acer Aspire One. The screen isn't miniature, it's kind of cool to own, and the keyboard is a decent size. Oh, and it's cheap.

7. effer macrumors member

Maybe a cheap full-sized laptop? She'd probably be frustrated with a tiny netbook. I am assuming this would be her primary/bedroom computing device.

8. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I agree! Typing this on one now! Actually starting to use it more than my MB for just internet/email.

I have got my little girl an EEE for Christmas. Like previous posters have said, very cheap, good to type on.

The EEE is on special offer at RM at the moment, £137 plus VAT. Here is the link. It's sold as the RM MiniBook but it's an EEE. And this isn't the 'Surf' so comes with the webcam.

I saw the Acer Aspire like mine at Tesco last night for £199, if you want the Clubcard points as well :D

I would stay away from the Elonex's - not very good at all and they don't sit very well on the lap as the gubbins are behind the screen so the balance is all off, (the come with a 'third leg' to support the screen!).

The Expansys one was an email offer I think, I got an email on Thursday about it.

HTH

- D

9. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

I understand that Macbooks, even refurbs, are really expensive in the UK.
    However, I have a netbook and a regular laptop, but for a primary computer, especially for an 11 year old, I would go with a cheap PC laptop. Honestly the 7"-10" netbooks are great for surfing on the go etc, but as a primary computer for someone so young and learning I would spend the extra to get a full-sized PC laptop and make it last 3-4 years at least. I'm not sure how these netbooks will hold up with the way technology is emerging.
    I don't know, just something to think about in my opinion.

10. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I guess with the OP saying the Elonex ONE was an option, a better netbook would be an obvious choice. NetBooks are pretty robust. I think the advantages of them are they are small, light, slip easily in to a school bag and if something DID happen to it, it's less than £200 that's gone, not £300 which is about the price of the cheapest laptops.

With regard to holding up, all schools have to provide a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) for students which is often web based - Netbooks are fine for using these, all of them come with a version of OpenOffice if it's a Linux based one or you can put Office on if it's an XP Home one, (Or still use Office with WINE on a Linux one). There never going to be able to run processor intensive apps, but then again, it's unlikely a cheap lappy would! You would get more screen real-estate with a cheapy lappy and maybe a full size keyboard, but for 11-year old fingers, that may not be a problem!

Most use Intel based processors, either an Atom or Celeron. The only downside may be storage space which could be got around with either SD cards or external HDD, (or Mobile Me of course!).

- D

11. longwood macrumors regular

I am going to jump on the Eee PC bandwagon. I just picked one off of craigslist and the thing is great. The keyboard is small (for an adult) so it takes a little while to get used to but for a kid I think it would be perfect. With 3 USB ports and SD card slot, space shouldn't be a problem.

12. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

get the eee pc but keep in mind that in not even two years, she'll want something more poweful(like a macbook):D

13. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

thanks for all the feedback I think I will go for the ASUS Eee PC, I just remembered a podcast I watched a while ago from IT idiots where they reviewed it, I'm downloading it again now to have another look.

14. ThisIsMyName macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

macbook airs are pretty cheap , oh u meant cheap in like money oh well then u shud get a macbook :p

15. longwood macrumors regular

i thought i would post my setup:

Attached Files:

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have an eeePC and I love it. It only took me about an hour to get used to typing on the keyboard. They make slightly larger sizes too. I have the 7 inch.

As others have stated though if this is for school a good option would be a larger cheap laptop. I would stay away from the low end acers as I always see problems with them but gateway makes some nice fairly cheap ones and so do other companies.

17. -kumar- macrumors member

ur getting an 11 year old a laptop???
    im 16 and im getting my first own personal computer!!!!!!!!!!!

18. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Presumably you get kernel timing issues?

19. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

if I get her a laptop it means she will stay off my mac:D

was having a look on ebay and found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iBook-G3-Good...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

what do you guys think this will go for and check out the youtube video featuring johny ive and big phil!!!!!

20. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

21. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

LOL! As I said previously, I have got my daughter an EEE for Christmas as well - she's 4!

Like the OP said, it will keep her off my MB. She is surprisingly good at using the trackpad. She can't type or anything but stick Dora on there off YouTube or music videos and she's away!

I only allow her to use it for a max of 20 mins a day but it amazes me how she can use it, (and my iPhone as well for music and some of the games - really is child's play!).

- D

22. longwood macrumors regular

Yeah time runs a little bit slower I think 1 EeePC second is 3 real world seconds. Some sites are saying due to the FSB.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I got my first computer when I was 8… Man it was so fast back then!