Cheap Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jameslikeness, Jan 15, 2013.

1. jameslikeness macrumors member

jameslikeness

Found a deal on LivingSocial yesterday for a cheap lightning to 30-pin adapter from LiveItNexus. Looks like it's probably not the highest quality in the world, but it might be worth the cheap price. Comes to $16 including shipping. Thought some here might be interested in it.

Here's the deal.

[​IMG]

Please let me know if this isn't kosher to post.

2. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I also wish to post about this.

I bought one and it won't even fit properly..it's cheap and awful.

I thought it was going to break my phone could barely get it back out.

3. jameslikeness thread starter macrumors member

jameslikeness

^ You purchased a cheap one on eBay, not the same adapter that I mentioned in my first post.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Let us know how that works for you.

Most of the ones I've seen advertised imply that audio transfers the via the cable but I suspect that they're all just for charging...like this one I got: http://www.lightningpinadapter.com/ for $15. Yeah, I can plug it into my old devices and "listen to music"...but it's through the iPhone speaker or headphone!

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

If it were below $10 it might be a deal grabber, but I'd rather buy the official Apple one then deal with the risk of frying my device or not having it function without warranty ... all to save $13?

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I have a gooseneck to lighterplug iphone holder that has audio-through with the 30-pin plug and a built-in FM transmitter that I had been using with my 3GS. Whole thing only cost me $18! They're now selling an iPhone 5 version for $20, but I'm waiting for the reviews to see if it actually works with audio through the lightning plug or if a 1/8" plug has to be used.

I've puchased many 30-pin accessories for the 3GS with no ill effects.

7. sweetestbaboon macrumors member

sweetestbaboon

Just bought one myself with the extra $5 discount LivingSocial is offering today only (28 March, code is"bestof") so it was $11 post-paid if anyone else is interested.
    Will post a review when I receive if anyone would like...

8. Skippy ATL macrumors newbie

Adapters by LiveItNexus are junk

I bought two of these through SweetJack at $19 each. This was back when the 5 just came out and cables were actually hard to find. One of them worked, the other was DOA. I emailed SweetJack and they refunded me the full amount, no questions asked. (Kudos to them).

The one that worked sits in a drawer in my office and was used less than 10 times - in my office, not in a vehicle. I'm careful with my things, never rough on them.

I used it at work today because I forgot to charge my phone last night. When I noticed my phone wasn't charging, I unplugged it to take a look at it. The little 8 pin tip just broke off in my phone. Nice.

If these are still out there being sold - beware. and do yourself a favor and just buy the Apple cable now that they're easy to find and apple lowered the price to $19. You can't go wrong.

Attached Files:

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Cheap ones dont seem to work with some items. I bought a cheap one to work with the wifes Kia adapter and it doesn't work. I read on some of the forums the "real deals" work. Hit and miss it appears. It charges but does not produce audio.

10. allisfair macrumors member

i have tried 3 knock offs and none of them can pass the audio, only charge and sync. plus they break pretty easily i found.

i'm probably wrong but i think as of now, you have to get the official apple one if you want audio. good thing i found one at 25% off.

if in canada, get one from telus using code acc25i to get 25% off. works on all accessories sold at telus.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/accessories/other_ncab1080.shtml

11. sweetestbaboon macrumors member

sweetestbaboon

Yeah, just got mine from the LiveItNexus deal thru LivingSocial.
    Pretty crappy overall & indeed it does NOT carry audio.
    Sigh.
    Buyer beware.
    Will be requesting a refund post-haste.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Huh? I just checked the Store and the adapter is still $29. Where are you seeing $19?

13. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

According to some reviewers at the Apple Store website the $29 adapter doesn't transmit audio to their gizmos that have 30-pin connectors.

I think the only advantages to the Lightning port is that it's small and the iPhone 5 also hands off some of the electronics required to the cable itself, probably resulting in the phone being a wee bit smaller. I guess there's a transfer speed increase.

14. allisfair macrumors member

i have used mine on three old 30-pin docks and they all work with the audio.

i have a jbl, gear4, and a sony clock and they have all worked fine passing the audio and the remotes they come with also work fine.

15. cre8tvnrg macrumors newbie

YEP - Mine broke too cheap adapter from LIVEITNEXUS.com

I bought the 'Deal' through Livingsocial.com for the Lighting Adapter - it broke EXACTLY like the photo on this forum above. I tried to call Liveitnexus.com and there is NO phone number - I emailed them from their website and still haven't heard back from them 2wks later. I called Living social and they gave me a $10 credit - 3 days later the USB cable I also bought at Liveitnexus.com stopped working. I had both of these for about 45 days. I warn EVERYONE to not buy ANYTHING from Liveitnexus.com

16. rattlertx17 macrumors newbie

do NOT use Liveitnexus

bought a Living Social deal from Liveitnexus for 2 car chargers for iphone 5s. neither worked in 2 different phones tested in different outlets in 2 different cars. their phone number on their website is simply not functional and i have filled out the web form twice with no reply. I am now assuming i will lose my money to this website. Strongly advise you AVOID LIVEITNEXUS AT ALL COSTS. :mad: