Cheap local phone number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Imola Ghost, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I have my iPhone 4 and was needing a second local phone number while I'm away traveling for work in this area. I was thinking about getting a cheap phone to use while I'm here from one of these no contract places.

While this is a viable option it also occurred to me that it may be possible that someone has made an application to give me a local phone number for cheap that will ring to my iPhone 4.

Does anyone know a application that would do just this?

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I found a application in the App Store called "Line2". It seems to work pretty good and just had my buddy call me on the new local number and it worked perfectly. However it is free for the first month and then about $14.99 for each month after without any contracts.

I'll continue to check this out and if it works out I'll pay for the months that I'm here.

Thanks for your help. If someone has a free option and works over 3G service than please let me know.

4. OC513 macrumors 6502

Google Voice..........
    http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/09/15/preview-gv-mobile-brings-google-voice-to-iphone/

5. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I did a search for the "GV Mobile+" in the app store and it didn't find it? I did find a "Google" application but it doesn't seem to have the Google Voice calling feature.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I have a skype local number. Cost is $30/year I believe.

Marc

7. djgulia macrumors 6502

There is no app. Sign up for Google Voice on their website, select a local number, and have it forwarded to your phone. when someone calls the number, it will forward it to your phone.

I set my GV # as a contact in my iphone so when someone calls it, I know they are actually calling my GV #. Since I use my GV # as my work mobile #, I know when work people are calling.