Cheap Mac Pro from Madrid?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by austined, Apr 14, 2007.

1. austined macrumors newbie

Can anyone make recommendations for or against an online company based in Madrid, Spain named World-gadgets.com? They list a deal for an Apple Z0D80 Mac Pro Desktop 64 Bit WorkStation Computer (2 dual-core 3.0 ghz Intel Xeon 5100 processors, 2 gbs ram, 500 hd, and an ATI Radeon X1900 video card) for $2,430.00. Can this be legit?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

$1500 below retail? Madrid? Not a chance.

Sorry :(

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

First go to Whois

The domain was registered just over three weeks ago. And they hide their ownership information (naturally)

Domain Name.......... world-gadgets.com
    Creation Date........ 2007-03-22
    Registration Date.... 2007-03-22
    Expiry Date.......... 2008-03-22
    Organisation Name.... Sandy Labaton
    Organisation Address. P O Box 99800
    Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address. EmeryVille
    Organisation Address. 94662
    Organisation Address. CA
    Organisation Address. US

Admin Name........... PrivateRegContact Admin
    Admin Address........ P O Box 99800
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address........ EmeryVille
    Admin Address........ 94662
    Admin Address........ CA
    Admin Address........ US
    Admin Email.......... *******@myprivateregistration.com
    Admin Phone.......... +1.5105952002
    Admin Fax............

Then look at Google and see that they are also selling cameras at half price
    discussion at DPReview

There is no way this is legit - it is another scam site.

4. robPOD macrumors 6502

5. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

yeah i agree

6. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

If it turns out to be legit then I can get mine from there :cool:

However, see in the text of the ad for the Mac Pro it says "This page was created by a seller." Sounds a little weird doesn't it...

7. austined thread starter macrumors newbie

Spoke to someone over Live Chat. They state these are U.S. products delivered from Madrid, Spain, and that they can afford to sell for discounted prices due to "special marketing promotions." Can anything be confirmed through the phone numbers they list?

8. Kodex macrumors member

Apple does not supply its system to resellers that cheap even bought in massive bulk. Best case they are stolen, worst case and much more likely they take your money and run

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Of course they can afford to sell at those low prices, because you will never get a machine.

If you are buying an Apple for a screaming deal -- instead of no-taxes, free crap tossed in, free shipping, etc. -- you will get what you deserve, nothing.

Send your money to me, at least you will get a free $50 gift pack in addition to nothing.

---

So easy to scam people, because they think that Apple sales work like any other PC sale -- with some dealers selling for huge percentages off retail.

The deals are refurbs, education discounts, developer discounts, etc.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Even if it's not a scam (which it is)...you'd end up with the Spanish keyboard.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Austined. You just don't get it.

There is nothing to confirm, this is a flat out scam intended to separate the gullible and greedy from their money.

Why in heaven's name would you take anything they say ("special marketing promotions" my @$$) with any degree of trust? Once you accept the premise that there are dishonest people out there, surely it follows that they will say anything to get your money. OF COURSE they will have a bafflegab story to tell you. And you expect to confirm it through some phone numbers they gave you?

Please... put your wallet away and grow some common sense.

12. robPOD macrumors 6502

Like the old saying : If it's to good to be true, then it probabley is.

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, some people seem determined to throw their money away. Hopefully learning from experience will teach what a bunch of folks on the internet yelling "IT'S A SCAM!" won't. But it would be a lot cheaper just to listen....

--Eric

14. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

My dad always said "Some folks just have to pay for thier education." ;)

15. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

That's brilliant!

To the OP SCAM...jesus murphy...

16. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

17. spjonesi macrumors member

I will be in Madrid on the 21st of May...I'd love to go pay them a visit and see this wonderful inventory of cheapo macs. Though somehow I think that even if I asked really nicely, they wouldn't let me. And while I'll be in Madrid, I'm grabbing a rental car after an all night transatlantic flight and driving 3 1/2 hours to Valencia. So I don't have time to stop...not that I would need to in order to tell that this is a scam.

So remember: 'a fool and his money are soon parted.'

Don't be a fool.

spjoneSi

18. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

19. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I'll tell you what, if you're going to throw your money away like this then give it to me. I have a dual quad core 5Ghz Mac Pro I'll sell to you real cheap. I am stationed in Antarctica and Apple sold it to me for only $1500. The reason I got it so cheap is because Apple Inc. doesn't have a strong footing in the Antarctic market, and they wanted to keep their customers from getting cold feet.

The machine is in amazing condition, the fans never go on. In fact I stopped heating my house the day after I got it thats how good at multi-tasking it is. The only problem with it is the keyboard. It is in Antarctic so it may be difficult to read.

I'm selling the machine because Apple is sending me a Quad octo-core 10Ghz Mac Pro next week and I need to make room.

The computer is yours for $1500, I only take cash or a certified cheque in US dollars delivered into an off shore bank account. If you have any questions feel free to email me at: "this_is_not_a_scam_believe_me_please@scam.org."

I also have 3 Apple 47" cinema displays with built in iSight Camera's up for grabs if anyone else is interested.

20. cardiaccard macrumors newbie

www.world-gadgets.com a scam site

I am in the market for a LC-52D62U LCD tv and found their site via yahoo. Their price was roughly $1000 under everyone else and after serious consideration I thought, what the heck, go ahead and give it a try. I ordered the tv and gave my credit card info and immediately received an email from them with misspelled words acknowledging receipt of my order and stating that they would ship my tv with 4 days (even though their site said items would ship within 24 hours). Red flag for me but I waited...and waited...and waited. I tried to call them and it went to a general voice mailbox. I emailed them 3 times and FINALLY got a broken english email response stating that they were unable to process credit cards for 2 more weeks but I could wire funds directly into their account and to let them know if I'd like to do that and they'd forward their banking info to me. Ahah! LOL No thanks. Can you say SCAM??? LOL I emailed them back and told them as much and asked them to cancel my order. No reply. No surprise. Moral of this story? I knew it was too good to be true and it was.