Cheap mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by will waters, Aug 12, 2011.

1. will waters macrumors regular

Hi

Can someone suggest a good place to buy at very cheap mac with an intel core 2 duo or better?

Thanks Will

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

apple refurbished has the best deals on current or last gen macs. With a 3 year warantee

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it's a 1 year warranty. AppleCare is optional and costs extra.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Macs tend to hold their value. I looked at a few used Mac stores and they were charging $499 for a used 1.83 Ghz Core Duo Mac Mini. It was only $599 when it was new almost 4 years ago. I suggest you search for mac mini on ebay using "completed listings only" so you get an idea what individuals are actually paying for them. If you aren't getting close to half off, it's probably better to buy a refurb unit from Apple as you get a warranty but if you bought from an individual you would get no warranty.

If you do find someone willing to sell you one for half off, make sure they don't want you to wire money somewhere or if it's craigslist make sure they don't want to meet you at night in the warehouse district.

I bought my first Mini directly from Apple. I was new to the platform and I wanted AppleCare. Now I feel comfortable enough to buy used but I'd still rather have new. Today's mini costs $599 and has an i5 cpu. If you got last year's mini for $450, you'd have a machine that is about 1/2 to 1/3 as fast for only $150 less. Unless you are getting one sweet deal and you are sure you aren't being scammed save up and get the new Mac Mini. To me it is the cheapest way to get the best Mac experience.