Cheap mobile hotspot device?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pinksteady, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

I'm travelling to California for a holiday (I live in UK) and as our abroad data tariffs are hugely expensive, I am considering getting one of those mobile hotspot things that have a sim in them and provide 3G connectivity to mobile devices by using wifi. This is so I can go on the Internet on my iPhone and iPad without racking up huge bills due to UK provider overseas data tariffs.

Are these really expensive? I'm only going for 10 days so it would need to be fairly cheap and on pay as you go rather than contract. Ideally it would be able to accept a sim from one of the UK carriers so I can continue to use it in UK. maybe it would be easier fopr me to buy one here and then insert a US PAYG sim on arrival?

Thanks in advance

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Android phone running 2.2, will broadcast wifi up to 8 devices.

3. Pinksteady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

I don't think you have understood my request. I already own an iPhone and iPad and want to go online with them using a US based PAYG 3G hotspot solution.

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Cheap Mobile Hotspot device

I have Virgin Mobile Mi-Fi/Verizon. Aside from some pilot error in setting it up (I was on vacation ...) it works as advertised. About 300Kb where we were on Cape Cod. One rainy afternoon my daughter burned through the prepaid data while watching a movie, so plan accordingly. You can get them at Best Buy and other retailers.