Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
I'm looking for a cheap home printer that can also scan & copy (fax would be nice, but not really necessary). I'm a very low volume user and only occasionally need to print texts or copy something. Speed is not too important, but the output should be of decent quality.

I can get a Brother DCP-130C for next to nothing from my credit card rewards catalog. Will this get the job done and does Brother make reliable printers?

I've also been looking at the EPSON STYLUS CX3900/CX4100 and the HP HP Deskjet F380, which are both <US$100.

The store rep recommended HP and said that Epson printers go through a lot more ink. If this is true, why would anyone choose Epson?

How much do you have to spend to get a machine that can print double-sided?

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
I have a C4180 Hp, and it's an aweome printer for the price. It is a printer scanner copier all in one. It prints fast and has really good quality. I used the ink cartridge it came with and have yet to use it up, and I have printed quite alot. I got it on sale for $89, and i think you can get it from tigerdirect.com for $100.

haoqfu

Cancelled
Aug 29, 2006
i wouldn't recommend epson printer either. i owned a photo printer from epson several years ago, it drained the catridge so fast, and the genuine ink catridges from epson were so expensive that i could almost afford another low-end printer.

i would recommend either hp or canon. i'm looking at canon mp460 myself. it's about $110, plus the color matches my mac too.

I'm interested in knowing how much i need to pay for a printer that can print double-sided as well...

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
New Kodak's have LOWEST INK COST

The New Kodak Multifunctions are built to use less expensive ink -- HUGE savings over HP, Brother, and Epson stock ink.

Mac World recently reviewed -- they look fantastic.

Edwin the Elder

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Epson Stylus CX 5800F

I picked up an Epson CX5800F at a great price - $98 (Canadian). The HP 5610 was $50 more and has fewer features.

The Epson supposedly works better with a Mac and has a media card reader and PictBridge.

However I've read a lot of similar complaints:

1. Printer stops working when you change a cartridge.
2. You need to continuously clean the nozzles - which wastes ink.
3. you have to change 4 cartridges when only 1 is out of ink.

Views? (I haven't opened it yet.)

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
i've used epson for years after owning canon and hp.
i love the quality of epson.
most pro photographers use epson too (in my opinion)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I picked up an Epson CX5800F at a great price - $98 (Canadian). The HP 5610 was $50 more and has fewer features.

The Epson supposedly works better with a Mac and has a media card reader and PictBridge.

However I've read a lot of similar complaints:

1. Printer stops working when you change a cartridge.
2. You need to continuously clean the nozzles - which wastes ink.
3. you have to change 4 cartridges when only 1 is out of ink.

Views? (I haven't opened it yet.)
Well also epson cartridges claim they are empty when still something like %30 full.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.