Cheap 'new' iPad 2 on ebay. Should I trust it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BanterClaus, Sep 7, 2011.

1. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Ive been thinking about getting an iPad 2 for a while now and I thought I would just check ebay to see if I could get one any cheaper.

I found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-APPLE...s_eReaders&hash=item19c5c0b1e4#ht_5132wt_1156

its £60 cheaper than what Apple sells it for. I realise it says open box however it claims all contents are there unused (I'm guessing its been returned to a retail store). Just wondering if anyone has any advice about buying one like this. Will it be fully working? Will I still get an :apple: guarantee on it?

Thanks in advance...

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

We aren't clairvoyant so nobody can tell you if it's "fully working." As for guarantee, you have whatever time is remaining on the 1-year original warranty.

3. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

I always question it when it is that much cheaper. When they sell as well as they do why would you sell it so much cheaper? For the sake of £60 I would rather buy it from Apple.

4. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Wonder if they are imports, they seem to be selling imported Canon Eos cameras (Rebel/Kiss models).

For only a £60 discount I'd stick with Apple (or any other UK retailer)

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

There aren't any "grey market" issues with iPads like there might be with cameras.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think it's real. He isn't losing that much money if he bought it in the US. He'd lose some on ebay fees, but it would get him some positive feedback.
    Could be like part of a marketing budget?

Also, he has over 100,000 successful transactions. I would definitely trust him.

7. db123 macrumors member

Go for 32 gb from apple or other seller. The eBay one might be refurbished !

8. sphoenix macrumors regular

sphoenix

Trust it. There are people who seem like they're offering dodgy deals but they are more than likely giving you a 100% real iPad in unused condition. I bought a 32GB touch which was £50 cheaper than Apple back in January. It was from the same type of seller, plenty units sold and some genuine user reviews.

The iPod touch I received was just like you'd get from Apple. Only weird thing is that it came in a huge Amazon box for such a small product - so there you have it, they're probably doing some delivery workarounds and earning profit somewhere down the line.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

And if it is?

10. shortcrust macrumors 6502

In my book, if it's opened it's (psychologically) second hand. I'm sure it's legit, but I would rather spend 60 quid extra and get a sealed one. If you're not bothered about it being opened then go for it.